VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hey guys I've just got a new tablet and I want to add some episodes of martin from my dvd collection to it. I already know how to rip an episode from the dvd but I notice that the scene have agreed to a new video standards using mp4 and I checked it out and it looks pretty good and the size is great as well. Around 80 - 120 mb is size, I want to know if you guys can recommend some good programs and tutorial I can use to convert my video to the size without drastic quality lost. Thanks. Beside I dont think the quality can get any worst since this show was air yearssssss ago when HD wasn't even in existence lol.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Do you have any recommended settings?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by adamlautner2012 View Post
    Do you mean you want to keep the video size as 80 - 120 mb?
    Thats correct sir, play space is limited on the device so I think around this size should be perfect. I tired one of the scene group LOL's video and the quality was good enough to me.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I don't know about that particular series but generally, lower quality material requires higher bitrates (bigger file sizes). Noise requires more bitrate. Interlaced video requires more bitrate. Don't be surprised if you can't get the files as small as you want with the quality you want.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by adamlautner2012 View Post
    Maybe you can try this video converter:
    http://www.aolor.com/video-converter/

It allows to split videos by size and minutes.

Hope it helps.
    Obviously, what he meant was he wanted each episode to be 80 to 120 MB. Not some larger size but split into 80 to 120 MB segments.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Decrypting and ripping is usually 1 separate step (e.g DVDFab, AnyDVD) from encoding (x264, or one of the GUI's +/- post processing like IVTC) , the first step hasn't changed in the last few years . What "scene" people seem to do now is use x264 instead of xvid

You can search for "scene rules" for the current settings used (but beware some of the "rules" are very stupid). Read the --crf section on guidelines for different types of shows
    http://scenerules.irc.gs/t.html?id=2012_SDTVx264r.nfo

Partial list of x264 settings and explanation
    http://mewiki.project357.com/wiki/X264_Settings
    Quote Quote  
  7. I have seen the scene rules and "LOL" is not a series its the name of a scene group who releases tv episodes for download. I just wanted to know the name of a good program I could use to use their setting appropriately because they have a whole lot of stuff and I have no idea what they use to get their videos like that. I know that smaller size would mean worst quality but bad quality stuff on smaller screens look a whole lot better than a 42" especially since its a old series anyway, so the quality loss might not even be noticeable. Thanks @poisondeathray for the tips, I will look them over asap.
    Last edited by biglo; 30th Jun 2012 at 15:01.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Don't expect real world video to look great at ~500 kbps, the ballpark you're looking at to get 22.5 minute TV episodes down to 80 to 120 MB. Anime compresses much better than real world video.
    Quote Quote  
  9. That's makes alot of sense I should have known that, I guess I should aim for 200 instead.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Don't aim for anything. Even the scene encoders don't really encode to a particular file size any more.
    I'm pretty sure they don't use any secret "scene" encoder settings. Just the default x264 settings, maybe a few device specific ones if they're aiming for compatibility with particular standalone players, and they can also use x264's own "speed presets", which after a discussion elsewhere today I was rather astounded to learn they don't seem to be supported by Handbrake.
    Maybe that explains why some Handbrake users seem to often talk about adjusting x264's advanced settings....

The "scene" encoders use different quality settings according to the type of video. I guess they're basing that on a bandwidth/quality compromise, but many (most) people just encode using the same quality setting for everything and the file size will be whatever it needs to be. I use CRF 18 these days, but it's all personal choice.

80MB to 120MB may be normal for a 20 minute episode of Futurama, but for the average 45 minute TV show expect standard definition to be more like 200MB - 300MB, or more, at a decent quality.

MeGUI is another encoder GUI you might want to look at. It has a bit more of a learning curve than some other programs but personally I think it's worth it. I use it to convert DVDs to MKV or MP4 regularly. It'll let you easily adjust x264's speed preset when setting up the encoder and also has a target playback device drop down box, which adjusts the encoder's settings appropriately for your preferred device.
    Quote Quote