VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. what is the dvd media with the highest quality and resistance to heat and humidity?
    Quote Quote  
  2. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Verbatim.

At the shops of Santa Ifigênia Street (São Paulo's downtown), you can find only the DL media, and they are not cheap.
    But until 3 or 4 years ago, it was easy to find single-layer Verbatim discs.
    Last edited by El Heggunte; 18th Aug 2014 at 09:41. Reason: I think the O.P. is gamemaniaco renamed :-)
    Quote Quote  
  3. 1 but Verbatim is not made by CMC Magnetics Taiwan and people say that the CMC is bad manufacturer? I know that the cmc manufactures verbatim medias

2 verbatim is a superior brand than Taiyo Yuden, Sony, Ritek Ridata and the mam-a medias?
    Quote Quote  
  4. This is going to go down the gamemaniaco route, I just know it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I propose the first word is.....
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Damn it. gamemaniaco is back for sure. I'll advise the mods by reporting this thread.
    Quote Quote  
  7. It sure smells like fungus
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    Assuming the questions are from a newcomer, and are serious, I'll give it a shot. First mention of fungus and I'm outta here.

CMC Magnetics makes a lot of Verbatim brand DVD's, this is true. But they do so to Mitsubishi's specifications, using the Mitsubishi AZO formula dye and MCC mid codes. They've been making Verbatim for many years now, and the reputation for Verbatim discs has remained excellent throughout. That being said, don't buy Verbatim Life Series discs. These are plain old CMC Magnetics discs, with a CMC mid code, and have proved to be less than stellar in use.

Verbatim superior to Taiyo Yuden? Depends on who you ask. My favorite mid code for DVD's has always been the Yuden000T02 discs, which are 8x +R. TY and Verbatim are both good, and consistently better than the others you have mentioned.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I assume this is Gamey, too, since he's started this back up with Smurfy.

One thing that isn't brought up is that "Burning Best DVDs is a function of not only the Media, but the Burner's ability to best utilitize that media."

Some burners don't like some media.

And it's very difficult to predict "Burner Prefers X or Y Media" except just do it. Just try it out. Compare the end results. That is ALWAYS the best test. Writing about it doesn't help one bit.

I wonder if Nero or ImgBurn will come out with their "Use Anti-Fungal Burn?" options? Maybe they're saving it for their special 2016 Olympics Version.
    Quote Quote  
  10. the importance of media in the dye and dvd is not the way the disc is manufactured? the verbatim has the mitsubishi but who manufactures azo is a brand that you guys often say that it is bad to cmc

verbatim discs which are the most reliable? I do not know the series of verbatim discs

I look for durability on a dvd disk, a disk q stand high temperature and high humidity for many years
    Quote Quote  
  11. http://www.mdisc.com/what-is-mdisc/

Just adding some new material. Best there is. Should get you to 70 replies.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Yep, I had that feeling right away when I saw the post and El Heggunte was the only person to reply.........

New name, same old troll.......
    Quote Quote  
  13. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Noahtuck View Post
    Yep, I had that feeling right away when I saw the post and El Heggunte was the only person to reply.........

New name, same old troll.......
    To be fair, I don't think it was completely clear after the short first post. Yeah, sure the humidity reference might be a giveaway, but it could have been from someone else. The follow ups clinch it - definitely gamemaniaco. I reported it to the mods - they seemingly don't care. Nothing else I can do.

For those who don't know, perhaps newcomers, gamemaniaco was an infamous former member who got kicked out. He's been kicked out of many other websites too. Basically he asks a question to start with that seems reasonable enough, although there's no way to provide hard core data as an answer and essentially all you can do is give an opinion for an answer. Just like in this case. I'm not aware of any studies specifically done in Brazil about humidity and its effects on long term DVD storage, so all we can do is make the general high quality media recommendations. Then he follows that up with even more questions once he suckers a few people into responding. Then he follows up those responses with even more questions, sometimes simply restating the previous questions. This causes some members here to get angry and call him an idiot and restate their previous answers and mention that he must really be stupid to be ignoring the answers and there's no point in asking the same question(s) again since it/they have already been answered. Then he continues to ask some of the same questions again, ignoring all previous answers and pretending to not understand what was said and perhaps throws in some really esoteric questions that nobody can give a definitive answer to. Rinse and repeat. And sadly the more he acts like he doesn't understand the more some of our members feel compelled to "help" him and his thread will end up with 70 or even 100 or more posts with him pretending to desperately want answers to his questions and begging for help, members saying the same crap over and over, him saying he doesn't understand - second verse, same as the first.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Banned
    Search PM
    Can threads about dvd's, heat and humidity just be banned outright with the mention of fungus leading to barring
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    (I should have been more explicit - Gamey has re-started the discussions over on Smurf's board and, when he didn't get answers prompt enough, he came over here.)

So, Gonca, does this mean that if you see a new checkbox feature on Disk Burning Software, you would not select "Destroy All Disk Fungi"? I wonder if we'll get a new TV series out of this - THE STAIN. All about an end-of-the-disc-world fungus, started by evil zaibatsu, anxious to either reclaim market-share or wipe out that segment entirely!
    Quote Quote  
  16. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    FWIW, he didn't even try to disguise himself better with a less-obvious nickname:

GA-ME-MAN-iaco => ME-GA-MAN-87

And that's it, yet another item on my Ignore List
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search PM
    Ok, I'm out too. Adeus megaman87. Find something better to do with your time.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Banned
    Search PM
    Wasn't The Andromeda Strain about a dvd fungus that escaped and infected an entire town
    Quote Quote  
  19. gonca: are you saying this dics[] fungus might infect an entire town? Should we alert the authorities?
    Last edited by transporterfan; 19th Aug 2014 at 07:25.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There once was a poster from Brazil
    Who got banned although he was ill
    Because of a hack
    He got himself back
    Since it does give him a cheap thrill

"Blame gonca for all this" Sigmund Freud.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Of course, Gonca's the only one with the continually perfect 'sig line'. Cheers, matey!

(By the way, I have both versions of ANDROM STRAIN (1971's and the 2008 with Benjamin Bratt), and both sets play without detectable viral impacts. Or perhaps, the impact is now so pervasive that "normal" and "common" are distorted?!! )

I think this would fall under the "I'd Be A Danged Fool Not To!" Department, therefore. (As in "What if everyone did it?!!")
    Quote Quote  
  22. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by gonca View Post
    Wasn't The Andromeda Strain about a dvd fungus that escaped and infected an entire town
    A DVD fungus from outerspace!!!!!!

Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    To be fair, I don't think it was completely clear after the short first post. Yeah, sure the humidity reference might be a giveaway, but it could have been from someone else.
    Brazil in the title, asking about heat and humidity.....
    LOL!!
    I would have to have bet on that one

Last edited by Noahtuck; 19th Aug 2014 at 15:57.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by transporterfan View Post
    gonca: are you saying this dics[] fungus might infect an entire town? Should we alert the authorities?
    Don't have to alert anyone. Just get some microwave towers set up and nuke the town.

Further, so what if I know Sigmund Freud personally, it doesn't make me crazy or fungi.

Gamey is like herpes, the gift that keeps on giving and never goes away.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by gonca View Post
    Gamey is like herpes, the gift that keeps on giving and never goes away.
    rotflmao...
    For the nth time, with the possible exception of certain Intel processors, I don't have/ever owned anything whose name starts with "i".
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe I can finally put a stake in the heart of this. Or at least I can provide Gamey with enough titles to study DVD fungus once and for all.

THE QUATERMASS XPERIMENT (1955; aka The Creeping Unknown) Brian Donlevy, fresh from Veronica Lake & Alan Ladd films, is the American rocket scientist in Britain who drives over to the park where his team's spaceship is landed, only to discover everyone missing except one injured astronaut. This survivor, unknown to us, has absorbed a fungus that will mutate him shortly. His wife is prevented a visit, but not to be denied, she sneaks in, brings him a Get-Well-Soon cactus (I kid you not) and THAT is what the fungus uses to merge into the dying astronaut's body & DNA. A seriously-acted sci-fi entry that begs far more laughter from the audience than the cast delivered. I mean, when the rocket scientist can drive up to the crashed rocketship in his station wagon, what's not to like?!!

X THE UNKNOWN (1956) It's Dean Jagger's turn as the Yank-In-Britain who is brought in to combat a radioactive mud-blob that oozes up from a "bottomless pit". Woody Allen's SLEEPER ends up using this thing's cousin as the dehydrated pudding that Woody subdues using a kitchen broom. Dean Jagger's not quite that lucky in X, however. Some really cool Tonka trucks are used, though.

THE H-MAN (1958, directed by Godzilla's Ishiro Honda) washes up on Tokyo shores and, instead of a noir drug-deal-gone-bad, we have oozing blobbish things that dissolve anyone and anything they touch. Including common sense. Probably DVDs as well - someone might check the Panasonic, Mitsui and Sony factories.

THE BLOB (1958) Two years passed before an American high school was equipped with (1) Steve McQueen, (2) Miss Crump - er, Anita Coursant, (3) sufficient fire extinguishers and (4) enough pudding to make this monster film. There's a happy ending "as long as the Arctic stays cold." Ahem...

(Some non-blob purists claim Denmark's 1961 REPTILICUS belongs in this list because that wooden-block marionette vomits up poisonous blobs. I dunno... I think 1971's GODZILLA VS THE SMOG MONSTER is a better fit, and it's still a stretch.)

Ishiro Honda returns with MATANGO (1963, Attack Of The Mushroom People) when shipwrecked survivors touch then turn into giant mushrooms. Of course, twenty years later, these same foamy costumes would be re-used for TV's TAKESHI'S CASTLE or, as known to '90s American TV audiences, "MXC The Most Extreme Competition" series.

THE CREEPING TERROR (1964) showed up next, and its blob-mess is described as a "shambling space monster", a perfect description of Vic Savage's directorial and lead-acting efforts.

In 1972, Captain Anthony Nelso - er, Larry Hagman - finally dumped JEANNIE but decides to use BEWARE THE BLOB as his big-screen directorial debut. It was his only one, too. He needed 7 more years before someone allowed him to sit in the cloth chair and grab the megaphone to direct some DALLAS TV episodes.

THE STUFF (1985) arrives as a dessert topping (or floor wax) with a fairly well-known cast - Michael Moriarty, Garrett Morris, Paul Sorvino, Danny Aiello, Patrick O'Neal, Alexander Scourby among many others. Their pleas to have this film destroyed - "It's this film or my reputation!" - went unheeded.

Three short years later, THE BLOB (1988) is remade with Kevin Dillon, a fairly luscious Shawnee Smith and Mr. Mellow Yellow's son, Donovan Leitch, Jr. Some people claim the motorcycle was the best acting performance.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Gamey, for you, I can easily recommend any and all of these in your quest for humidity and fungal controls.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!