VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. So first off I will begin by apologizing if this has been mentioned here on the forums before. I did a little searching around and found a few things, but nothing that really answered my question.

Anyway, I have just now got into ripping standard DVDs (not Blu-Ray discs) onto my computer. I understand that right now, the codec x264 is the way to go so I have been doing a little researching on a few guides for that. The one guide I just got done with, I have to say, was pretty confusing to a noob like myself. It involved using MeGUI, AvsP, AVISynth, DVDDecryptor, MKVmerge, and a few other random .dlls I have to find and download. Needless to say, after midway through the guide I was so confused I ended up giving up.

I have been doing a little research on NERO products and see that they have a couple of programs (like the Multimedia Suite and Vistion Xtra) that might do me some good, however I'm not sure which NERO products I need. And I wouldn't mind spending the extra cash so long as the process is a lot more simple and user friendly.

So my question is, is there a Nero software/product that I can purchase that will allow me to convert my DVDs to the MKV format using the x264 codec, somewhat easily? I understand it's never gonna be just a one-touch-fix, but I'll take anything a little less complicated than the guides I have been looking at lately.

So, if there is, could someone recommend me the Nero product and possibly a guide to accompany it to accomplish what I am wanting? And if there is not, could someone recommend me another guide that makes encoding with the x264 codec just a little more easier to understand for a noob such as myself. Thanks so much in advance!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I've had good luck using the default settings of constant quality in handbrake. It gives an x264 mp4 of very good quality. Of course you have to rip the dvd to your hard drive using dvdfabhddecrypter main movie feature since handbrake will only accept a dvd if it is unencrpyted.

Here's a guide
    Donadagohvi (Cherokee for "Until we meet again")
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks alot for that info/guide. It looks pretty easy! I'm giving it a try as we speak!
    Quote Quote