VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hello!

new to the forum...

we are looking to get my father a dvd player (or possibly recorder - read on below) for his birthday and have been doing some research and not getting very far. part of it is my lack of knowledge regarding technology and part of it is the general feeling that one man's treasure is another man's junk - i.e. for every great review a player seems to get on here there is a really horrific review to follow.

my father does not have a high def tv yet but keeps planning on getting one. i am looking for a dvd player that will give him a great picture now but can be used with the hdtv when he gets it, which is an unknown date right now. he is really picky though not very technologically saavy, so keep that in mind - i've been reading about the hd-dvd machine but think he would be too impatient to deal with the load time!

a dvd recorder was a possibility only because he doesn't have tivo and there was the chance that he might want to record something off tv. with that in mind, it seems that people are pretty ambivalent about dvd recorders and if it means i get a great player that doesn't record, so be it. if i can find a great machine that can do both, great.

looking to spend (hopefully) no more than $400.

thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Toshiba RD-XS52. I have the 80 GB version (RD-KX50), and IMHO it is exceptional.
    It's available at amazon with lots of reviews.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks for the tip. i looked at it on amazon and found the sort of reviews i seem to be finding with the recorders in general - some people with some pretty serious issues and some people (like you) that think it's great.

i certainly thought the specs on it sounded good - i will look into it some more.

anyone have a player recommendation?

thanks again!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I recently bought the liteon 1107 hc1 for around a $100. Plays divx, records dvd -r and +r and has dv input hookup.

Though a few downsides - mono tv tuner, no svideo in or out. You can hook up a stereo vcr and get stereo recordings that way - just set the channel you want on the vcr and then record on the dvd recorder.

The neat thing about a dvd recorder is if you get one that can do +rw you don't have to finalize the disc to play in another player. You just record and you can pop it in another dvd player without finalizing.

And on the menu of the disc it not only has a thumbnail for the show that was recorded but it gives you the date and time it was recorded.

If you want to go higher in to the $200 range you can get a dvd recorder WITH a vhs unit on the same machine, though of course it would be a wider deck than a simple dvd recorder.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote