VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum edition 10, with the following elements:

Sony Creative Software Inc. - DVD Architect Studio Version 5.0 (Build 157)

Sony Creative Software Inc. - Sound Forge Audio Studio Version 10.0 (Build 177)

Sony Creative Software Inc. - Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum Version 10.0 (Build 179)

After purchase last year we edited the movie clips from our OS travel, these clips were in MP4 format. It all went well and we were happy with the program. We have recently returned from OS again, with more movie clips from different cameras (Canon 600D DSLR & a Fuji HS-20 superzoom). I have not successfully been able to edit the clips on VMS 10.

It does not matter what variants I try of opening the program or how I load the clips, in the end the program crashes. here is a copy of some of the error reports:

Problem Description
    Application Name: Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum
    Application Version: Version 10.0 (Build 179)
    Problem: Unmanaged Exception (0xc0000005)
    Fault Module: C:\Program Files (x86)\Sony\Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum 10.0\VegasMovieStudioPE100.exe
    Fault Address: 0x00001200
    Fault Offset: 0x00001200

Fault Process Details
    Process Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Sony\Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum 10.0\VegasMovieStudioPE100.exe
    Process Version: Version 10.0 (Build 179)
    Process Description: Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum
    Process Image Date: 2010-04-20 (Tue Apr 20) 00:20:46

#2 report

Problem Description
    Application Name: Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum
    Application Version: Version 10.0 (Build 179)
    Problem: Unmanaged Exception (0xc0000005)
    Fault Module: C:\Program Files (x86)\Sony\Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum 10.0\VegasMovieStudioPE100.exe
    Fault Address: 0x00001200
    Fault Offset: 0x00001200

Fault Process Details
    Process Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Sony\Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum 10.0\VegasMovieStudioPE100.exe
    Process Version: Version 10.0 (Build 179)
    Process Description: Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum
    Process Image Date: 2010-04-20 (Tue Apr 20) 00:20:46

I seem to be able to start a new project and then drag some MOV files to the timeline, however this is usually one at a time, then after a dozen or so it will crash. If I try to drag a bundle of MOV files it spits the dummy totally.

I have uninstalled Quicktime, cleaned the registry and tried versions 7.6.0 - 7.6.2 - 7.6.4 - 7.6.9 and of course the latest version 7.7 as I heard this might be an issue, it did not change anything. I currently have 7.5.5 installed and it works marginally better, I can get a few more clips on the time line before it crashes, but the end result is the same.

I also completely uninstalled the Vegas program and did a fresh install, registry clean, again no improvement.

I have tried a VMS 11 version on trial and it works. However the version 10 is not that old and I would like to try to fix the issues with version 10 if possible.
    Last edited by ribbony; 12th Jul 2012 at 23:35.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    you could try converting the mov container files to mp4. avidemux copy video copy audio set container to mp4. no changes will be made to the video/audio only the container.

if that doesn't help, you should look into getting the upgrade to v11.
    http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/upgrade/moviestudiope?disp=1
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. I will give avidemux a go, however I read that the current version is prone to crashing on Win 7 64 bit ???

Re the sony upgrade. If I used the Vegas Movie Studio 11 (not the platinum edition) would that integrate with my existing soundforge and dvd architect studio 5 software. http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/moviestudiohd/compare
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    never heard that one. even if it does there are plenty of other ways to convert to mp4. MPEG Streamclip open file then save as mp4.

dunno? it should but you may have to to the new version where to find the .exe files for the other programs.
    --
    Quote Quote  
  5. MPEG Streamclip - when you load a MOV file it has a dialogue box with various options to convert/save the file to the new format (MP4). Should you let it select the options by default or does one need to change the settings. I only altered the "quality" setting to 100% in lieu of the 50% it had selected. I do not want to loose any quality.
    Quote Quote  
  6. You can give MP4camtoavi a shot, it might be able batch covert (without reencoding) your files into avi container. I would recommend just change audio into PCM.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ribbony View Post
    MPEG Streamclip - when you load a MOV file it has a dialogue box with various options to convert/save the file to the new format (MP4). Should you let it select the options by default or does one need to change the settings. I only altered the "quality" setting to 100% in lieu of the 50% it had selected. I do not want to loose any quality.

don't do anything but run streamclip, file/open the mov, file/save as, and change the output to mp4 by clicking the little arrow and choosing mp4.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-07-13_112227.png
Views:	235
Size:	170.2 KB
ID:	13083
    --
    Quote Quote  
  8. Thanks

Would MPEG Streamclip be reencoding or repackaging the video clip ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks

Would MPEG Streamclip be reencoding or repackaging the video clip ?

all it does is re-wrap the video and audio into a different container format if you do it the way i explained.
    --
    Quote Quote  
  10. The 50% quality setting by default, that one appears to be a concern though, or am I mis interpreting the meaning of that sliding bar thing ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    what??? are you following the instructions given? prey do tell where in this picture is a quality slider?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-07-13_184718.png
Views:	236
Size:	724.5 KB
ID:	13086
    --
    Quote Quote  
  12. I think I have worked that one out:

I did a test conversion of a MOV file, it is 185mb in size, at a 50% conversion it is only 18mb afterwards, at a 100% conversion it is 220mb in size. The huge reduction in the 50% conversion must represent a quality loss.

The slider is when you go to the "file" menu and select export to MPEG-4, it comes up with a dialogue checking the various settings for the file, quality, bit rate, etc,etc.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    don't use export. click file - save as, and change the file type to mp4 as instructed and there is NO change in quality or any re-encoding. it is just re-wrapping the file in a different container.
    --
    Quote Quote  
  14. I tried that, but it reduces the image file to 18mb, that has got to be a reduction in quality, one tenth the size can't be just re-wrapping.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Here is an interesting fact.

I tried to rename the file extensions on the MOV files. First to mp4, that did not work, but then I tried avi and I could then use VMS10 to load & edit them. I could even get quicktime to play the files but the only thing that will not work is that using win explorer they do not load as thumbnails.

I tried a batch conversion of about 50 files and all of them would then load in VMS10.

Interesting, is a MOV file actually an AVI file in disguise ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I tried that, but it reduces the image file to 18mb, that has got to be a reduction in quality, one tenth the size can't be just re-wrapping.

then there is something wrong with the video file. no wonder vegas doesn't accept it.
    --
    Quote Quote  
  17. But vegas will accept it if I change the extension manually to AVI ???? By that I mean I got one of the original MOV files and just changed the .mov to .avi, that is all, no re-wrapping or re-encoding.

So is Vegas using Quicktime to interpret the MOV files but doing it's own internal pre-rendering of avi files. By changing the extension it circumvented the use of quicktime that seems to one of the thorns in the stability of VMS10 with MOV files. Just a theory.

Weird !
    Quote Quote  
  18. I tried to ask this question in a new thread to keep this one on topic (VMS10), however it got closed so here it is:

I have been trying to convert some MOV files from my Canon 600D DSLR camera for use in Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD 10.

The resultant files play audio in VLC player and also in the VMS10. I used the default settings.

Any suggestions as to the best settings for video quality.

Why just audio and not the video, it is in there somewhere as the file is too huge to be just audio.

This is the details on the original clip:

General
    Complete name : D:\Images Travel 2012\Canon 600D\C Video Khumbu\MVI_03188.MOV
    Format : MPEG-4
    Format profile : QuickTime
    Codec ID : qt
    File size : 180 MiB
    Duration : 31s 732ms
    Overall bit rate : 47.7 Mbps
    Encoded date : UTC 2012-03-20 10:27:23
    Tagged date : UTC 2012-03-20 10:27:23

Video
    ID : 1
    Format : AVC
    Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile : Baseline@L5.0
    Format settings, CABAC : No
    Format settings, ReFrames : 1 frame
    Format settings, GOP : M=1, N=15
    Codec ID : avc1
    Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding
    Bit rate : 46.1 Mbps
    Width : 1 920 pixels
    Height : 1 080 pixels
    Original height : 1 088 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    Original display aspect ratio : 16:9
    Frame rate mode : Constant
    Frame rate : 29.970 fps
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.743
    Stream size : 175 MiB (97%)
    Language : English
    Color primaries : BT.709-5, BT.1361, IEC 61966-2-4, SMPTE RP177
    Transfer characteristics : BT.709-5, BT.1361
    Matrix coefficients : BT.601-6 525, BT.1358 525, BT.1700 NTSC, SMPTE 170M

Audio
    ID : 2
    Format : PCM
    Format settings, Endianness : Little
    Format settings, Sign : Signed
    Codec ID : sowt
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 1 536 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Channel positions : Front: L R
    Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
    Bit depth : 16 bits
    Stream size : 5.81 MiB (3%)
    Language : English
    Quote Quote  
  19. It would helped if you uploaded a short! samples of you disputed videos, both, mp4 and mov as well.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    your canon rebel 3ti creates the same video as my 60d - the specs you list are correct for the camera. mpegstream clip will always re-wrap mine into mp4 with no meaningful change in size.

if you want to upload one of your non working mov files to a file hosting site we would be able to check it out for you.
    --
    Quote Quote  
  21. Let me play with getting some suitable size files and put them on a "hosting site".

Any suggestion as to a good hosting site ? Have not used one before.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    make sure it's one that your vegas doesn't accept, and mpegstreamclip doesn't convert properly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_file_hosting_services

depends on who you like. google skydrive apple and just about everyone else offers it now. find a free one with decent storage and a large enough file size limit.
    --
    Quote Quote