VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have bought various (TDK/MEMOREX) brand new blank DVD+RW and DVD-R discs to record on, but my DVD regularly gives me messages like 'disc is dirty' or 'cannot play this disc'. This is very frustrating, unreliable and expensive. Has anyone out there a solution to this problem?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Have you tried a DVD lens cleaner?

Others have reported this problem with the Sony units, and for some, use of a lens cleaner was the solution.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by garyjo
    Have you tried a DVD lens cleaner?

Others have reported this problem with the Sony units, and for some, use of a lens cleaner was the solution.
    I don't think that it actually refers to having to clean the lens.

I have been getting the C1300 error message frequently. It seems that the Head Dirty problem may also be linked to spikes in line voltage and/or disk incompatibility.

I have disabled TV Dir Rec in my Settings menu as there is no RF signal passing through my machines. Also, I have spread my electrical machinery requirements across as many plugs and rooms as possible.

Curiously I have found that with several disks that give no error warning will freeze in the fourth or fifth chapter in playback and will anot allow me to scan through this point. Beware - you have to absolutedly test the integrity of your recording with the gx3. I have found that some disk play perfectly on the Sony but not other machines.

Sony, of course, have heard from no-one with this problem.

Can anyone suggest the best blank dvd-r media for use with the gx7 and gx3?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  4. I've been using Imation in my new GX7 and have'nt had one problem. I'm hoping Memorex works ok becasue I've just bought a bunch
    Quote Quote  
  5. Have you thoroughly checked playback in a machine other than the one you have recorded the disk in ? Check all recorded contents in high speed scan - otherwise retain your playback masters.
    Would be interested to know what you get from your playback test. I have found that some disk do not give an error indication and only seem to record straight through.
    Playback from another machine is different.
    Would be interested to know your playback success rate

Max_in_dublin
    Quote Quote  
  6. I recently bought a GX7 and was happily transferring old VHS tapes to DVD using Imation DVD+RW's (4x). However, one disk stopped after 14 minutes of recording. After that all my Imation DVD+RW's - new and old -stop at 14 minutes with the C1300 error - disk dirty. I bought some 4x TDK DVD+RW's, and they do the same at 14 minutes. The irony is that I have some TDK DVD-RW's and they record fine.

Any ideas?
    ACD
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by acdickson
    I recently bought a GX7 and was happily transferring old VHS tapes to DVD using Imation DVD+RW's (4x). However, one disk stopped after 14 minutes of recording. After that all my Imation DVD+RW's - new and old -stop at 14 minutes with the C1300 error - disk dirty. I bought some 4x TDK DVD+RW's, and they do the same at 14 minutes. The irony is that I have some TDK DVD-RW's and they record fine.

Any ideas?
    Similar problem with my GX3. +RW disks are occasionally bombing out after 2 - 15 mins with a 'disc dirty' C1300 message. This has occurred with Ricoh, Packard Bell and Philips disks which work fine with my Sony PC burner. Sometimes a reformat helps, sometimes not. It's rendered timer recordings unreliable (only a one in three success rate) and I'm on the verge of returning the device. I ran a lens cleaner through it twice this morning and have left it recording all day - I'll repost as to whether this has helped.
    Quote Quote  
  8. My Sony GX3 is having similar but stranger problems that Sony has never heard of. It has suddenly taken a dislike to DVD+RW disks -old ones that previously worked fine and brand new ones BUT it still works fine with DVD-RW disks records edits etc. Anyone any ideas as to what is happening?
    Quote Quote  
  9. It's funny Sony never hears about any of these problem's. There full of crap. When I had my DRU500AX nothing but problem and the install disc made you CDR drive's on your PC go away this also happen to a friend and I called them and they said they never heard of this problem. But alot of people on tis site it happen to. Sony might make a great DVD recorder to record MPEG 2 but there burner are top of the line junk I'm sorry to say. These are the smae problem's people have with there PC sony DVD burner's.

Panasonic Pioneer and APEX are all good DVD reocorder's
    Quote Quote