VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I have 2 IOGear sd card readers & 1 Ativa (= make into pen drives) Never had problems till I got some 'class 10' 16-g sd cards (+ 1 16-g micro sd with adapter). Initally they worked, but now they ALL give the 'write protected' message all the time. (They are not locked {switch} & are not full. the older cards still work fine. The readers are 3 -5 years old. Any ideas??

-corne-
    Yes, no, maybe, I don't know, Can you repeat the question?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Check the properties for that drive and make sure that it's not marked as read only and if that don't work try this tip from Majesca.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What I should have mentioned was, the older (NOT class 6 or 10) sd's still read/write as they are supposed to.

The issue is just with the new sd cards. They did work, but not anymore.

Properties are not 'read only'

I'm gonna get a new card reader & see what happens, , , ,-corne-
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by cornemuse View Post
    What I should have mentioned was, the older (NOT class 6 or 10) sd's still read/write as they are supposed to.
    I gathered as much from your initial post, just had to get the obvious out of the way before going off on speculation (did you try the Diskpart thing?). The write protection is implemented through the OS setting user permissions, I haven't seen any decent explanations as to the cause of the change in permissions, it could be some interaction between the old readers and new card controllers, it could be from using the card on different PC's or maybe a combination of both due to drivers. You could try to format the card in a digital camera or with SD Formatter, if that won't work try gparted (included in DSL).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I bought a new sd card reader, ($3.99 at Fryes elec.) and when it is 'plugged in', the older ones work. Unplug the new one, & the older ones revert to write protected. Plug back in, & all work again. Computer (XP sp3) didnt this time "install new drivers for new, yadda, yadda,), I dont know whats the deal here, but it works,

Go figure. -corne-
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!