VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm really hoping to avoid having to rerip my blurays because of no forced subtitles after using MakeMKV. Is there an app I can use to extract the subtitles so that I can then use Mkvtoolnix to add them back?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    *Nevermind. Didn't see that you wanted the forced subtitles.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Might be easier just to download forced subs since if there's none in the mkv that makemkv extracted then your out of luck.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, I'm thinking about downloading if possible. Trying to find a reliable website now for them
    Quote Quote  
  5. Here's a list of movies with forced subs. It's probably not complete:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AkGO8UqErL6idDhYYjg1ZXlORnRaM3ZhTks4Z3FrY...sharing#gid=12

If you used MakeMKV to rip and put directly into MKV container, have you tried demuxing the first sub stream? The forced flag may be intact. Then it' a matter of running it through BDSup2Sub and export the forced subs only to remux into the MKV with the forced subs turned on.

My apologies if you already know the following:

You may end up having to extract the subs from disc. Does MakeMKV remove the forced flag? I dunno, I haven't played with MakeMKV for a long time now. Though I suspect you're not seeing them simply because the subs are still in sup format in MKV container and the forced flag is not recognized. I should think if you use MakeMKV to rip as files, you could demux the first sub stream and load into BDSup2Sub.

But if that doesn't work, you'd need another decrypter like AnyDVDHD or DVDFabPasskey.

1) Run one of the above decrypters in the background and analyze the disc with BDinfo to find the main movie playlist file (*.mpls).
    2) Load the *.mpls in tsMuxer.
    3) Extract the first sub stream (forced subs are almost always in the first stream).
    4) Load the subs in BDSup2Sub. It has an option to export only the forced subs.

I export as sub (VobSub) for muxing in MKVs with the subs turned on. I confess I dunno if sup (*pgs) files muxed in an MKV can be defaulted on. I've always used sub (VobSub) for MKVs.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you for all the detail. I checked the subtitle I extracted from my Star Wars I mkv. Looks like BDSup2Sub doesn't see the forced the subtitles. I'll go through the process you listed.

Luckily I just have to do this for the Star Wars movies as I was able to set up Dawn by downloading forced subtitles.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!