VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi all! Laptop Info:

Hp Dv6, Interl i7, Raetheon Graphics, Win7, 8MG RAM.

I use this laptop strictly for surfing and video streaming of Netflix, Live Sports, video downloading, Video Converting
    I use Any Video Converter ( I like the simplicity,and can add subtitles easily)
    I download and convert about 20-30 shows/movies per week

Problem: (not sure if it is)......When I start the conversion, the laptop starts to run hot and the fans turn on and the laptop is very loud. I can feel the heat blowing out the side. I also noticed this start to happen when I was watching a 2 hour Netflix movie.

What I've done: Proped the laptop onto a wire cake cooler (the thing you use to put hot cookies and cakes on to cool since it is made of thin wire and allows for ALOT of air circulations around and under the laptop). I plan on buying a cooling pad next week. I live 40 mins. from closest town so I get there 1 time per week.

Questions: 1). Is it normal for my laptop to get so hot and noisy with the fan when making conversions and streaming?
    2). Is this particular HP computer suited for such heavy use for what I do ( I asked HP when I bought it and told them what I would be using it for and they said yes...should I trust this now?)
    3). Can my load of usage for this laptop, cause the innards to burn up or cause any type of inside damage?
    4). Is there a Video converter that I can try that is easy to use with the ability to add subtitle files (SRT) that uses lower CPU?
    5). Any Video Converter CS told me that to lower my CPU I should turn off my GPU while converting? Does this sound right?
    6). If the answer to 5 is YES, then how do I do that and must I then turn it back on AFTER I finish my converting?
    7). Will turning off the GPU cause anything else to not function normally?
    8). If the CPU usage is not the cause of the heat and if the heat happens because of the Video Converting itself, is there a Video Converter out there that will make my laptop run cooler?
    9). If this laptop is not sufficient for my load of uasge as stated above, is there one that you recommend that will suffice and thus not run so hot and can be "heavy duty"?

Sorry for sooo many questions, but I've been looking for answers for 2 weeks on the Net and nothing that I can understand. I'm not computer saavy, but learning as I go. I just found out what CPU means and what CORES are this week. That's a BIG step forward for me.

So thanks for your patience and answering my Qs.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search PM
    It is really simply: the more computing power you use the hotter it runs.

So if you use all your cores near 100% your computer will run very hot.
    But that is normal! It is designed to handle those temperatures.

Nothing to worry about.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Most laptops aren't cooled well enough for 100 percent usage. Try restricting your encoder to a single thread. That will keep it's CPU usage down to about 15 percent.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, everything has already been said apparently ^^

If you want to better ventilate your laptop and to reassure you, you can buy and stick 4 small adhesive feet.

and for converter, I can propose you : Super, Format Factory or Free Make video converter etc
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by WazaKrash View Post
    and for converter, I can propose you : Super, Format Factory or Free Make video converter etc
    Super is trojan, hijacker, virus-filled garbage.
    Quote Quote  
  6. If you use Handbrake you could enter "threads=1" in the Extra Options box for the x264 encoder.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I use Aisee to convert and that was excellent.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Serious? peoples download it on commentçamarche, clubic or others reliable site, and they didn't have any problem about virus.
    brief, no need to complicate the issue of our friend, he has already done a lot of research that couldn't help him.

If your Any Video converter seems slow, I'm sure that Format Factory is not and it is rather fast when I use it, even sometimes when I have a file nearly of 1Gb.

But then it's up to you to decide exactly what you want to do, obviously.
    Quote Quote  
  9. What about that Single Thread for the encoder? I already convert with my Video Codec set at X264. So am I already using a single thread? If not, then how do I set this in Any video Converter? I have 3 choices for this box of Video Codec: x264,mpeg4, Xvid. I am converting to a 1080x720 frame size, Video Bitrate = 768, Encode Pass=1.

So now with this info, am I still using 1 thread?
    Quote Quote  
  10. x264 uses 1.5 times the number of CPUs Windows reports. So your 8 core CPU is using 12 threads. You can also use Task Manager to reduce the number of cores a CPU can use (Set Affinity).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Video is a CPU intensive operation.
    No way around it.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  12. Banned
    Search PM
    Encoding 20-30 shows/movies per week on a single thread because "computer hot".....

Okay......
    Quote Quote  
  13. Since you have an i7 CPU try using Intel's Quick Sync encoder in Handbrake or one of the other programs that supports it.
    Quote Quote