VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I changed my PC monitor's color/display settings so that the colors are more vibrant. I changed the settings in my Nvidia Control Panel. When I watch a video on my PC monitor (even if it was recorded before I changed the monitor's color settings), it looks really good & all the colors are very rich, but when I make a blu-ray of new videos, that I recorded with FRAPS, the colors are not as rich and good looking on my HDTV (despite the Blu-ray disc videos appearing correctly on my PC monitor).

I record video from PC games and from XBone games via FRAPS. For XBone game videos, I use the AverMedia capture device (via USB) and then record the video from my PC monitor via FRAPS. I've also tried just recording the video as an .mp4 via AverMedia, but neither way appears correctly on my HDTV. How do I record the PC monitor (with it's color/display settings) exactly as it looks like on the PC monitor?

BTW, my PC monitor has full dynamic range (as do my AverMedia capture device & XBone settings), but the HDTV I watch blu-rays on only has limited dynamic range. Could this be the problem? BTW, the HDTV I play XBone games on has full dynamic range (but does not have as rich colors as it appears on my PC monitor via AverMedia (despite both the HDTV and PC video source coming from the same source (aka XBone)).

Even when recording a PC game via FRAPS, the colors are not rich when I make them into a blu-ray. I am using DVD Architect Studio 5.0 to make the blu-rays and I have the general video bitrate set to 40 mbps.

I need some way to record the PC monitor as-is. I thought FRAPS does that, but either that isn't true or I am not making the blu-rays properly.

Any help with this problem would be greatly appreciated. I can't understand why my PC monitor has rich colors and more detailed video, but both of my HDTVs do not. It is quite a difference when comparing what it looks like on the PC monitor with what it looks like on the HDTV while I am recording it.

Thanks.
    "it's a me Mario"

(Super Mario 64)
    Quote Quote  
  2. The graphics card's proc amp uses a lookup table to perform the color manipulation. The video that's in the frame buffer is unchanged, it's changed on the fly as it goes out of the computer.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So there's no way to record it as it looks like on the PC monitor?
    "it's a me Mario"

(Super Mario 64)
    Quote Quote  
  4. You could use an external capture device to capture DVI, HDMI, or component output from the computer. Or you can use a video editor to adjust the screen cap video after capturing.

You should also make sure the software you are using to convert for Blu-ray is using the correct conversion matrix, rec.709, with the correct levels.
    Quote Quote  
  5. You've un-calibrated your monitor to make the video look "better" to you, just do the same with your HDTV. You can even make it one of your presets. As long as you're dealing with a closed system that you can control, real-world standards don't matter.

If you want to share the videos, or watch them on someone else's TV then do your color correction in an editor.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, cool. Changing the tv is pretty easy. Thanks for all the help, I really appreciate it.
    Thanks.
    "it's a me Mario"

(Super Mario 64)
    Quote Quote