VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I recorded onto my Comcast Motorola DCT6400 High Definition DVR some concerts from UHD which is broadcast in 1080i. When I record the concerts onto my Panasonic DMR-ES30V DVD Recorder from the DVR they come out as 4:3 – not 16:9.

Is there a DVD player that will record off my DVR in 16:9? If not, is there a way of using a fire wire and some type of video card to get the recordings onto my computer in 16:9 where I can then author DVDs?

Thanks for the help.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I think the issue may be the format that your dvr outputs the signals to the connectors used to your dvd recorder. My cable supplied high-def dvr specifically says the output connectors used for copying down a program provide standard signals only (ie. not high-def nor widescreen). My dvr is a Scientific Atlanta 8300. Supposedly they have also encrypted the hard drive in the dvr so you can't copy programs to another device. But I haven't actually tried making this work, so others may have ways around whatever restrictions are in place.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There's a way to use FireWire on the Motorola boxes to transfer content to a computer - supposedly it'll maintain the 16:9 content:
    http://replayguide.sourceforge.net/dct6412/

I've not tried it (yet), so can't comment on how well it works (if at all).

Jim
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have an SD PVR and I record of it in true 16:9 using a Pioneer 540H with no problems. I just set the PVR to output 16:9, and the 540 records and flags it as such. For some reason, a number of DVD recorders do not recognise the 16:9 flag or encode as 16:9. Panasonic are one of the main offenders. However if you send a 16:9 image to it, record it stretched, then rip it to your PC it is a simple matter of changing the flags to 16:9 and burning a new disc.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote