VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey, I am in a pickle here and was hoping you all could help. I recently purchased an upconverting DVD player, an LG DN191H, and am having some problems.
    When I play DVDs with a lot of deep black next to color, Star Wars for example, I get all kinds of large blocky pixels on the screen where the black is. This happens if I am in 480, 720, or 1080. I have the DVD player hooked up through HDMI to my INfocus SP5000 projector. I also have an Xbox hooked up to the projector through component cables, and when I watch the same movies, there is no problem with the blacks at all. I know the Xbox doesn't upconvert, but this still perplexes me.
    Have any of you experienced this problem? Is this just a crappy DVD player? Please help me! Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    see if you have a black level adjustment on the LG , i dont think so -- and if so it is a crap player

the INfocus SP5000 is not to bad a projector (at that price), but it is an lcd projector and so will never be super great on blacks anyway, but on that projector, it is not that bad --
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)
    Quote Quote  
  3. You probably just need to calibrate the TV to the player. Use the THX Optimizer found on all the Star Wars DVDs. It's most likely a contrast/brightness issue.
    Quote Quote