VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    i am setting up my plex server and I've had my dvd collection so far backed up to ts_video folder format and had been using makemkv to convert to mkv so they could be streamed with plex...and thats worked great. the one remaining issue is when streaming plex to my ps3. while it works fine, it needs to be also transcoded (rather than a direct stream) and because of that fast forward/resume does not work properly. knowing that the ps3 likes mpeg files better i was trying to use mkv2vob to do a quick remux from mkv to mpeg and unfortunately mkv2vob throws a unsupported video codec mpeg2 error (something about that program not being compatible w/ the vc-1 codec or something from what I've read). if there is any way anyone knows to work around that it would be ideal...because the one movie that did work w/ this method streamed perfectly to my ps3 (ff and all).

so fast forward to now.....i stumbled on vob2mpg. my first test with the free version was pretty slow (1hr 15 min total including timestamp correction) but with it saying that the pro version is 3 times faster i took the plunge. w/ the default settings it does work much quicker until i turn the timestamp correction on (that same file has been churning for about 40 min now and only 60% through the time stamp correction so i'm not seeing much benefit to the pro version right now).

the big issue i'm seeing is no matter what I do, my resulting mpeg file still is being forced to transcode by plex (even if i use the force ac3 for audio setting which is what i thought was the culprit knowing that ps3 cannot stream 5.1) but still no luck. so unfortunately i feel like i just wasted $20 since i'm having the same effect w/ my resulting mpeg as i was w/ the mkv's that i was already able to do for free.

am i missing anything or any advice?
    thanks in advance
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I guess you don't want to try another media server? Like ps3 media server.

Can you stream single dvd vobs with plex? Or do you get same problems then?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by packers1966 View Post
    so fast forward to now.....i stumbled on vob2mpg. my first test with the free version was pretty slow (1hr 15 min total including timestamp correction)
    You are not running VOB2MPG from a DVD in the drive are you? I have never even come close to slow speeds like that.....ever.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    nope not from a DVD......i'm running in from already ripped to my hard drive files (TS_Video format). and I will say that the actual chapter extracting is quite a bit faster.......5-10 min total it seems.....its when i turn on the GOP correction setting that it bumps the total time up to 45-50 min (i ran it on 2 different movies now and thats what I'm getting). Like I mentioned, my main goal here is to get these encoded as mpg files so that my PS3 can read them natively via Plex and does not require transcoding (and if they are direct played natively I have the ability to fast forward).

I have a couple other movies that I converted to mpg's from handbrake that work fine this way but that took several hours per movie which i'm trying to avoid .

any help would be great!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    I guess you don't want to try another media server? Like ps3 media server.

Can you stream single dvd vobs with plex? Or do you get same problems then?
    thanks for the reply but no I really want to use Plex. i've tried the others but that one really is the best setup for my environment since it has apps for android and Roku (how our house is setup).
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    nope not from a DVD......i'm running in from already ripped to my hard drive files (TS_Video format)
    You may also want to consider customizing your rips. Take Movie Only and remove the excess audios and subtitles before you fire up VOB2MPG.....if you are not doing that already.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    nope not from a DVD......i'm running in from already ripped to my hard drive files (TS_Video format)
    You may also want to consider customizing your rips. Take Movie Only and remove the excess audios and subtitles before you fire up VOB2MPG.....if you are not doing that already.
    do you have any recommendations on what the quickest way to do that would be for my already existing rips? i know I can probably do that going forward but most of mine are already in this format.
    and would that help at all w/ the issue i'm having ? (getting it converted to a ps3 native format). i know that it handles the mpg's fine so i'm thinking it must be something w/ the audio...which is why i thought the force ac3 setting in vob2mpg might be the trick but doesnt seem to be.

what about in vob.....the setting dropdown for the main movie where I choose which audio to use....the default is something like "DEF (80) English AC3 6chs". and i noticed theres also an option for just "80 English AC3 6chs". would that make any difference?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    You can always re-load your VIDEO_TS folder into DVDShrink and remove unwanted audio and stuff. You'll need to output it again to another VIDEO_TS folder but once you have it the way you want it...delete the first VIDEO_TS folder.
    I don't own anything "5.1" so I get rid of that whenever possible. If there is a 2.0 audio version...I take/keep that one.
    I believe you can also select and preview the different audios in DVDShrink....to make sure you get the correct one.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    You can always re-load your VIDEO_TS folder into DVDShrink and remove unwanted audio and stuff. You'll need to output it again to another VIDEO_TS folder but once you have it the way you want it...delete the first VIDEO_TS folder.
    I don't own anything "5.1" so I get rid of that whenever possible. If there is a 2.0 audio version...I take/keep that one.
    I believe you can also select and preview the different audios in DVDShrink....to make sure you get the correct one.
    i just tried that but no luck unfortunately. i loaded it in dvdshrink and made sure to only check 2 channel (nothing 5.1) in any of the options , exported to a new ts_video folder , loaded up in vob2mpg but that still is forcing ps3 to transcode.....gotta be something I'm missing
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    does anyone know how I might contact the owner of this software to request a possible refund? i can see how it might be very helpful to some but for what I'm trying to do / what i thought it would do for me unfortunately does not and while the pro version adds faster extracting speeds, using the recalculating feature, it bumps my times up to 45-50 min per movie. Unfortunately that just wont be something thats useful for what i'm trying to do.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    anyone? i tried PM'ing Chrissyboy (i saw in another post that user responded to a users request instructing to do that) a couple of days ago but haven't heard anything back. Is this the correct person to contact about this ?

thanks for the help
    Quote Quote  
  12. My guess there is something wrong with your system since I get no-where near that much time when I use vob2mpg.
    Do you have a codec pack on your computer?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search PM
    well like i said, if i leave the defaults on its only 10-15 min but if i turn on the recalculate GOP setting like it was recommended it bumps up to 45-50 min. I tried a few different files/folders with the same result.

my main issue is I was mainly looking for a quick solution similar to mkv2vob to remux my mkv or vob files into mpg's that I could play/stream on my ps3 w/ out transcoding like that program does. The trial version of this program has that GOP calculation setting on by default and my tests with that took that 45-50 min time range as well and the pro advertised that it was 3 times faster so I thought that it would be worth it....so i bought it and found that it did handle it quite a bit quicker only to find that the pro version has that recalculate setting off by default and like i said, turning that on bumps it way way up for me. and even after waiting that time, it still seems to transcode when streaming via plex which is what I was ultimately trying to avoid. so i just am feeling like I wasted my money now. It does look like a great tool but ultimately does not do what I thought it did and was hoping there might be a way to refund my purchase
    Quote Quote  
  14. Firstly, vob2mpg takes like...maybe 15 min., with gop correction(maybe faster, don't remember) to re-assemble a vob file to mpg...movie length that is...don't know the exact time nothing like what you are quoting.
    Like I mentioned above, something is wrong.
    Now if you don't like vob2mpg, that's fine, find something else that works but I know for a fact it works rather well using in a media player.

Rewrapping a vob in mkv...sometimes hardware players don't like that sort of thing so that may not ever work with your situation, don't know
    since I don't stream or use ps3.

I see others complained about plex doing the "transcoding" thing, perhaps you need to dump plex and try something that works better.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search PM
    I really did not intend to come across as accusatory at all with this. Like I said, it really does look like a great tool. If all I was wanting to do is convert my vob's to mpg's I would love to use it. I did try testing tonight with a handful of vob's (from ts_video folder format) and it ranged anywhere from 20-45 min on my system. I'm sure I don't have the highest powered machine so thats obviously not at fault of the tool at all. I had hopes that it would let me avoid the transcoding to my ps3 from Plex since it had the force ac3 option but unfortunately that does not seem to work. I dont know if it's not adjusting the video codec in a way that it wants or not but just does not seem to jive with it.

I was able to find another method to achieve this (it does involve more steps but if it works i'm fine with that). I have been able to use makemkv to convert the vob's to a mkv (10-15 min ) file and then use ps3muxer to convert to m2ts (3-5 min) a variart of the mpeg container from what I understand?). doing that my ps3 will direct play it fine w/ no transcoding needed and plex is able to transcode it perfectly to my other devices so i'm in good shape.

If vob2mpg was able to do that for me i'd have no problem with letting it do its thing if it took longer on my system but like I said, all i end up with is a mpg version of the movie that i still cant direct play so i just dont end up anywhere ahead.

I do know that this is my own fault for misunderstanding what vob2mpg is able to do compared to what I was needing.....i just wish I had done more extensive testing with the free version before i made the pro purchase. I had seen a few other people on here that had issues making it work for what they want and saw a moderator instruct them to PM him for a refund so I was hopeful that that generosity would be an option for me as well. If not, its not a big deal......just feel dumb spending the money on a tool i cant use

thanks for taking the time to try and help
    Quote Quote