VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    HI!

How Can I change the color space of output video in MPC-HC?

The video output is always NV12.
    Quote Quote  
  2. View -> Options -> Internal Filters (left pane) -> Video Decoder (button) -> Output Formats.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    View -> Options -> Internal Filters (left pane) -> Video Decoder (button) -> Output Formats.
    The internal decoder is Lav filter. I chosen YV12, however the mixer output remained nv12.

Quote Quote  
  4. Another way for me to not understand how the playback system works.......

I don't know what's happening exactly, but I can tell you that in my case (running XP), MPC-HC/EVR always displays Mixer Output: RGB32. I tried both monitors (one is connected via VGA and the other HDMI) and it's the same for each. I switched the video card output to YCbCr444 for the TV to see if that'd make a difference. It didn't, so I switched it back to RGB.

It seems though, that the "mixer output" and the actual decoding are two different things. I disabled LAV Filters and switched to ffdshow because ffdshow's icon actually provides a little useful information via it's tooltip. According to ffdshow, it's output was NV12. EVR still displayer "mixer output" as RGB32.

That's as far as I got. Maybe it'll help someone work out what's going on.

Is NV12 a bad thing? I just checked several h264 videos, some I encoded myself, some which I didn't, and they were all NV12. At least that's what MadVR and Reclock both tell me. The conversion to YV12 is lossless isn't it? They're just different flavours of the same thing? Even so, if the video is NV12 to begin with, is there a benefit to converting it on playback?

If any of it's likely to be video card/driver related, I'm running an Nvidia 8600GT and the drivers are probably close to a couple of years old. The newer XP drivers I've tried seem to have issues so I stopped upgrading them. I'm not a gamer so there's probably no need to anyway.

Back to WMR9. It doesn't display the colour space so I was living in blissful ignorance until now......
    Last edited by hello_hello; 8th Jul 2014 at 12:03.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Is NV12 a bad thing
    Nope, NV12 and Yv12 are basically the same, the same infos just reordered a bit.
    The conversion to YV12 is lossless isn't it?
    Yes, lossless conversion is no problem.
    They're just different flavours of the same thing?
    yup and even calling it different flavors seems is a bit strong.

Even so, if the video is NV12 to begin with, is there a benefit to converting it on playback?
    In the end you always have to convert to a color space which is supported by your display. If your display supports multiple color representations, there is no benefit to losslessly convert between them beforehand.

Cu Selur
    Quote Quote  
  6. Cheers.

I'm still keen to understand a little more about the mixer output EVR displays, and why for me it's RGB32 but for Stears555 it's NV12. Anyone know?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Out of topic..
    but what is "ColorScapes", what do they do?
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!