VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i recently reinstalled xp and whenever i play a video the processor usage shoots up to 100% and it takes forever to close whatever player im using at the time. ive never experienced this before.

anyone know what the problem could be?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ensure you have the latest video drivers installed. Then test again with MPC or VLC.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have the exact same problem, and i do have the latest drivers installed. My setup : Nvidia 7600GS Silent + IIyama Prolite E2200WS TFT Screen

Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    100% CPU and you can't close the player? That often means Windows Explorer is hung up trying to read the file. If it happens with all files of the same format, probably a bad codec. As mentioned, VLC or another player that uses it's own codecs is a good test. If it's just one file, it's probably a corrupted file.

If it's all video files and the above doesn't help, maybe video drivers, malware, video card problems, bad RAM, slow hard drive or a whole bunch of other things are possibilities.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Its with ALL files and VLC causes a WinXP Restart, how do i check my codecs ???
    Quote Quote  
  6. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    That doesn't really sound like a codec problem, Fonzie684, but try Codec Sniper. Be careful not to remove any OS codecs as they are hard to reinstall. CS should show you if you have broken or damaged codecs.

You might try booting in 'Safe Mode' and playing a MPEG-1 or a WMV or other type of file in WMP or VLC. Safe Mode doesn't load most drivers and might be one way to check if they are the problem. I've only tried playing a video in Safe Mode a couple of times, so I'm not sure it will work with other players or codecs, but it's one way to try to rule out driver problems if it does.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Are you running the original XP? Try installing SP1 or SP2.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i fixed it... i had forgotten to install my agp driver.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    he lordtara1981, wat setup do you have ?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    sempron 2500+, 1.5gigs ram, pc chips m848a mobo, xp pro sp2, geforce 6600 gt, m-audio delta 44 recording interface, 80 gig system hd and 160 gig extra hd
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ok thnx lordtara1981. I too installed my AGP drivers for the MB and presto all works like it's supposed to!!

Thnx guys for all the info!!
    Quote Quote