VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have the full version of mp4tools and wish to change my mkv containers to mp4. When attempting to drag and drop or open mkv h264 files into mp4tools, nothing shows up. Am I missing something?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I'm moving you to our mac section.

Didn't you try the trial/free version first? Just to see if it work at all.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    Didn't you try the trial/free version first? Just to see if it work at all.
    That is actually one of the differences. The free version has an Open File button, resulting in a dialog box, while the registered version should allow drag-and-drop.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm having the same issue in the trial version of the application. I was planning to test out the application before purchasing, but I can't get a file to load.

I used the open button to open a file, then browse to the file and open, but then nothing happens. The file does not get loaded into the application. Any suggestions?

I'm running OS X 10.11.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    With all your mkv files?

Maybe try an older version: https://www.videohelp.com/software/MP4tools/old-versions#download . If they still work.
    Last edited by Baldrick; 10th Feb 2016 at 02:38.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I tried v3.4.5, and this one has slightly different behavior. When I try to open a file, the program becomes non-responsive and just spins. I've let it sit there for about an hour now, and still nothing. However, if you look at activity monitor, the program isn't using any CPU resources, and the RAM usage is staying at a steady 33.4 MB.

I've renamed the input file to input.mkv to make sure that having special characters in the name wasn't causing problems. The file is about 340 MB, so it's not overly large, either. Any other suggestions?
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I would try find another mkv to mp4 software. iFFmpeg can maybe change mkv to mp4 without renconverting. Check if you can copy/passthrough the video and audio tracks.

Or try avidemux for mac os. Load your mkv, under video and audio choose copy, format: mp4 muxer and last save as new.mp4. It will probably crash though.

Or use a command line solution like ffmpeg or mp4box. But if you are not familiar with command lines and if your mkvs contains several audio, subtitle tracks it will be kinda complex.

Or last use handbrake...it will reconvert the video but you can passthrough the audio.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sonnyme View Post
    HandBrake is a good choice as free one, or if you worry it can't make it, then you can directly turn to MacX Video Converter Pro, I've used this for a while and it works really well.

Considering profession and speed, I suggest the latter.
    They can't copy the video stream....as I guess the OP wants.
    Quote Quote