VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I don't know when I was upgraded to firefox 11 but that is the version I have.

I have had several crashes recently. The browser would just close for no apparent reason. Twice today, once while browsing here on videohelp and just now while reading my yahoo email.

Is it something I'm doing? Right now I only have zune open playing some mp3s. I'm an older single core xp machine. I haven't had any serious issues with it.

Could these be just random glitches? If it keeps happening what should I do?

Can I rollback to an earlier version of firefox if I keep getting crashes?

Edit - I have auto update enabled thats why I don't know when I got version 11. I just accept the upgrades when they come.
    Last edited by yoda313; 14th Apr 2012 at 15:44.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i have version 11 running on xp vista and 7 machines here without any crashes. check to make sure there aren't any unexpected plugins or addons. and check them all to see if they are up to date.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    FF 12 beta 5 is good too!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try restarting Firefox in Safe Mode (see Safe Mode | How to | Firefox Help). That will start FF without all your extensions and plugins (although I'm not sure about the latter) enabled. Then, try browsing as normal. If FF doesn't crash (at least in the same way it has been, for you), there's a chance it's being caused by one of your extensions. Make sure they're all up-to-date.

If the crashes persist even in Safe Mode, there's a chance your Firefox profile itself might have been corrupted in some way.

To be honest, I'd disable auto-updating for both Firefox itself and the add-ons. It's always better just to wait and see how the browser updates go before applying them - maybe there's some issue that might affect you, and to which Mozilla might need to rush out a .1 update. And, I've had issues with extension conflicts in the past (like Tab Mix Plus and Greasemonkey causing problems), which only showed up after an extension update. (Or, they might disable or mess with certain features that you'd liked, so you may want to keep an extension from updating, etc.)

I'm running FF11 with no apparent problems on all of my Windows and Mac systems. (Not my Linux system, but it has nothing to do with FF11.)
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @aedipuss and pepegot 1 - thanks for the reports.

@ai haibara - I have not thought about the extensions. I can probably remove most of them. I really don't use them much anyway.

Is there someway to get notifications about firefox updates if I did disable autoupdate? Thats one of the reasons I leave it on is so I get the latest without having to remember to do it.

I'll go ahead and remove excess extensions. Hopefully that solves it. I actually don't extensions running that I am aware of. But that doesn't mean they can't be in a background mode of some type.

Thanks.

Edit - ok I removed a couple of extensions. The plugins I have are like adobe reader and those type of utilitarian default plugins nothing exotic. I removed a download manager application and activated a symantec plugin.

Oh by the way I run norton 360 and have it updated to the latest (well last years version but updated with the latest definitions.
    Last edited by yoda313; 14th Apr 2012 at 13:58.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    use the update setting in the pic below. it's what i use and when you start firefox it will notify you if an update is available and you can choose to install or not.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-04-14_150750.png
Views:	737
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	11956
    --
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks aediupuss.

Actually I just finally received an error message after another crash:

It had this file name and version number:

plugin-container.exe 11.0.0.4454

This detail was also in there:

xul.dll offset - 009f9e49

I'm guessing there is something about this out there. I'll browse for a minute and see what I get.

edit - Ok I searched and saw a similar problem on the firefox forums. I have disabled the addons and will start adding them back one by one. However I don't know exactly what sets it off so I don't know how to test 100% effectively.
    Last edited by yoda313; 14th Apr 2012 at 14:27.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Uninstall flashplayer using the downloaded Uninstaller then reinstall Flashplayer
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by isapc View Post
    Uninstall flashplayer using the downloaded Uninstaller then reinstall Flashplayer
    Actually I'm doing updates for all my plugins. I also had an adobe and a java update that I never got around to doing.

Thanks for the tip.

edit - well I updated my plugins and I seem to be stable for now. Its strange that I haven't had this happen before. Maybe there were more significant changes behind the scenes in this version of firefox than others and got hit with outdated plugins. Usually I do update the big ones from adobe but not the other ones so much. Oh well at least it seems to be ok now.

Thanks again.
    Last edited by yoda313; 14th Apr 2012 at 15:44.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    there's a setting to automatically get updates to addons if you want to turn it on. it might help with preventing conflicts. firefox/options/general/manage addons/ top middle of the page is a little settings drop down arrow.
    --
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You might also see if disabling the plugin-container process helps: Plugin-container and out-of-process plugins - MozillaZine Knowledge Base. plugin-container is an attempt to run certain plugins in a separate process (rather than the browser process itself), so that if something goes wrong, it theoretically won't take the browser down with it. The thing is, however, some systems/setups just don't seem to like it. I've had to disable it on... say, 75 percent of my Firefox setups.

I couldn't tell you what a system or setup might have a problem with plugin-container, though. For example, I've got two basically equivalent Vista systems (hardware and everything - not the one in my Computer Details, though), with basically the same Firefox setup on each (same extensions and bookmarks, and Firefox version). Yet FF wouldn't work right on one of those towers, until I disabled plugin-container.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by aedipuss
    there's a setting to automatically get updates to addons if you want to turn it on. it might help with preventing conflicts. firefox/options/general/manage addons/ top middle of the page is a little settings drop down arrow.
    Thanks. I'll try to remember that. I'm on a different computer right now. I know when firefox is updated it tells you what extensions are compatible with the newest version but I don't seem to recall if it notifies you of the plugins during the upgrade process.

Originally Posted by ai haibara
    You might also see if disabling the plugin-container process helps: Plugin-container and out-of-process plugins - MozillaZine Knowledge Base. plugin-container is an attempt to run certain plugins in a separate process (rather than the browser process itself), so that if something goes wrong, it theoretically won't take the browser down with it.
    Thanks. I'll keep this thread in mind should I get a similar issue in the future.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    FF8-FF11 are fine if dual-core or quad-core.
    And assuming it has enough RAM, and a good GPU.

On single core, run FF7. It's one of the few versions that isn't "leaky" on RAM.

Web browsers are f'ing ridiculous now on RAM/HDD/CPU/GPU use.

It's gotten so bad that I may have to buy a new laptop for web dev work.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    On single core, run FF7. It's one of the few versions that isn't "leaky" on RAM.

Web browsers are f'ing ridiculous now on RAM/HDD/CPU/GPU use.
    Hmm mines a 2ghz or so single core amd celeron with a 1gig of ram and win xp. It seems more or less ok with the latest firefox.

But thanks for suggesting a firefox to revert to should it get worse.

Also its a desktop tower not a laptop.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ICBM target coordinates:
    26° 14' 10.16"N -- 80° 16' 0.91"W
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The Pale Moon builds might also be of interest, if you're looking for a Windows version that might be slightly more optimized and perform better than the standard Mozilla builds: The Pale Moon Project homepage
    Older versions, such as v7, can be found under Download > Archived versions (on the homepage).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Great stuff people. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Version 12 has a couple of known bugs, which I unfortunately got after updating.

1.I often use 'copy image' option to copy/paste an image to wordpad, etc. Now it doesn't work anymore - link to the image is copied instead (it works the same way as 'copy image location').

2.An image (copied from page or opened in another tab) is shown on black background in the centre. Even an extension (it works) was developed to downgrade from that new 'option'.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I think Mozilla believes the 'black background' image behavior is a feature, rather than a bug. Had it happen to me (and on a recent version of Seamonkey, where that extension also works).

Edit: Just in case anyone's looking for the extension: Old Default Image Style :: Add-ons for Firefox
    Last edited by Ai Haibara; 24th May 2012 at 11:10.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This is why I use more than one browser. My 2nd (after firefox) is opera.

Well, I actually have 3 browsers including Internet Explorer, but on my last 2 machines I've only ever used IE once. To download firefox.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Alex, the right mouse copy image in version 12 seems to be working again. If copied to notepad it shows link like you said but if copied to photo program like photoshop it copies the image correctly. Notepad never has been able to show an image on my win 7.
    Quote Quote  
  22. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    [ ...... ]
    Last edited by El Heggunte; 24th May 2012 at 12:31.
    Quote Quote