VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search PM
    Hi, There!

I have many DVDs (Full Screen) 4:3 and I want to watch it on TV (Wide Screen) 16:9.
    Is there is any way to convert it into 16:9? Thanks in advance
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If it's not letterboxed (Ie the black bars inside the 4:3 frame) then it's not really worth it.

You'll have it stretched and stuff will be left off the edges.

I seem to remember that windows media center had an awesome zoom feature that seemed to flawlessly auto stretch 4:3 to 16:9 without distortion. But it's been so long since I've done that I could be mistaken.

Basically I would not suggest doing that in anyway.

If you must fill the screen why not just use the zoom button on your tv or dvd player? Then see if you like it and just leave it that way. No conversion needed.

However chances are stuff will be lost on the edges (not permanently of course just while zoomed). Also you may have problems with subtitles in this mode - also if they are hardcoded into the picture they'll be stretched and distorted also.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by yoda313 View Post
    If it's not letterboxed (Ie the black bars inside the 4:3 frame) then it's not really worth it.

You'll have it stretched and stuff will be left off the edges.

I seem to remember that windows media center had an awesome zoom feature that seemed to flawlessly auto stretch 4:3 to 16:9 without distortion. But it's been so long since I've done that I could be mistaken.

Basically I would not suggest doing that in anyway.

If you must fill the screen why not just use the zoom button on your tv or dvd player? Then see if you like it and just leave it that way. No conversion needed.

However chances are stuff will be lost on the edges (not permanently of course just while zoomed). Also you may have problems with subtitles in this mode - also if they are hardcoded into the picture they'll be stretched and distorted also.
    Thank you so much
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, there are options. You could use MakeMKV to mux them into an MKV then set croppings for an automatic zoom for any player that understands them. You can just change the Aspect Ratio from 4:3 to 16:9 and watched them stretched. Neither options require a re-encode. Any further solutions will simply be a variations on stretching and cropping.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Flatscreen TV's all contain a menu option to zoom 4:3 to 16:9 by cropping the top and bottom of the frame and generally provide a better picture than encoding. I have an LG BR player that zooms the picture in 2% increments from 2-32%.
    Last edited by wulf109; 21st Jun 2014 at 16:07.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by TeNSoR View Post
    I have many DVDs (Full Screen) 4:3 and I want to watch it on TV (Wide Screen) 16:9.
    You can already watch 4:3 DVDs on your widescreen TV set. The player just adds black bars on the sides. Wanting to watch a 4:3 film (not a widescreen 4:3 film) any other way is the result of ignorance because it means changing the OAR (original aspect ratio) in one way or another.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!