VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a DVD compliant meg2 file which consisits of two other mpeg2 files joined together. Now I have the issue that the reported length is incorrect and as a result the authoring programs (DVD Lab and Ulead) only produce a 38 minute long video instead of 1.5 hours!

I have tried Mpeg Corrector, Restream, and several other programs to rewrite the headers in this file but I have had no luck, the problem still remains. Even splitting the file results in a 38 minute section! And tossing it through an editor results in it being trunctated as well!

The frustrating thing is that this file plays back perfectly on the computer! All I want to do is get it on a DVD so I can store it!

Any freeware suggestions for a fix, or even where I can find the mpeg2 file format layout so I can write some code to fix the indicated time length would be appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    videoredo, stream fix....not freeeee though.

or remultiplex with tmpgenc, file->mpeg tools->multiplex and select the mpg as video and audio and create a new mpg.

or maybe projectx or pvastrumento
    Quote Quote  
  3. Baldrick,

Thanks for the suggestions, I shall mull over them - I did try tmpgenc, but the mepg tools would not dmux the full file, only 38 minutes! As I said the weird part is it plays fine in several media players on the computer but only 38 minutes is produced when it is authored.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    You could always play it and run video screencap app at the same time. Then just save it to a new file (AVI) and compress how you like.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Best (free) option is to use ProjexctX to demux/fix the file.
    If it won't process the whole file you can try to split/demux it in 2 parts.
    I have recovered quite a few corrupted recordings this way.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    DGPulldown will correct timestamps in mpg2 for me -- worth a shot?

In TMPGEnc, try trimming end (make sure you include a couple of I frames) to force file rewrite?

Project X to re-split the joined files, or cut out a couple of I frames at the split?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    since you already have dvdlab, why not use it?
    tools/re-write gop timecode, should do the trick.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote