VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hi everybody out there. i have this computer without an operating systems and i dont know witch OS i should install and if i could install a video card with hdmi out put. any suggestions will be appreciated . thanks all. ps. it has a pentium 3 ghz 1g of ram and 160 hd.
    Quote Quote  
  2. What do you plan to do with it? Windows XP or an older Linux are likely choices.

Oh wait. You want a "witch" OS. That would be Windows ME. LOL
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    pentium 3 ghz 1g of ram and 160 hd
    I would recommend Windows 7, but you need to add 3GB more RAM as 1GB won't run much of anything except XP, and it will run that slowly. If you are looking for a freeware OS, check out some of the Linux distros. I would also add another hard drive.

There are lots of video cards with HDMI output. Most newer motherboards have a PCI-E card interface.

If you had a link to that 'barebones' PC, that would help considerately with suggestions. At least the model number of the Asus MB. Also, what do you plan to use the PC for?

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks redwuz for the help . this computer have the chipset ati radeon xpress200 and the ati radeon x300 board. it will be use to download and streams videos of the internet . the ram max is only 2g. i dont know if 2g is enough to run windows 7 32 bits how about the windows xp2005 mce. thanks again.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    XP runs the best on this computer. However, if you increase your ram to 2gb and upgrade your video card to min. 256 mb,Windows 7 will run fine. your computer alredy has a dvi imput, I don't think HDMI wil benifit you much.
    I have extensive experience with these computers. I ran a lab which had eight of these and we tweeked them every which way
    possible.
    Quote Quote