VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    This is the error message from ImgBurn, attached below.

I did not make the ISO. According to WinRar and 7Zip (or maybe IB) it was made using Roxio Toast.

Presumably, based on the 7.3Gb size, and what I know about it, this should be a DVD-9 image, though I would have to double check for additional details, such as whether it's PAL or NTSC. More likely the former.

It can't be replaced, isn't available here, and the source is out-of-print.

So, how best to go about salvaging this ? I'm aware of ISO editor apps, though I've never used one. If I can find out how to "burn" this to HDD space instead of to DVD, so that it returns to VIDEO_TS / VOB structure, there may be some way to fix it (?), or, failing that, to at least chop it into two SL DVDs that will be compliant and can be burned.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Noncompliant DVD ISO.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	12.6 KB
ID:	14075  

When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Mount the image on a virtual drive?
    Open the image with DVDShrink?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Why not extract the video_ts folder and use ImgBurn to create a proper double layer image?
    http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=1777
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I think the first step in this that I'm not really conversant with is extracting the contents from the ISO. Once I can do that, the other suggested avenues open up. So (since I don't see where IB deals with that part directly), I guess the next stop will be PowerISO or UltraISO ? Your link for making dual-layer DVDs with IB is something I do all the time.

Alternately, there might have been some way to bypass the DVD altogether . . . but I don't think my first-gen WD Live has the capability to play ISO files, as is. Perhaps later versions, or one of their competitors do . . . ?
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    What I would do as I have the tools to do this and I understand the workflow is the following. I'm NOT suggesting in any way it's better that davexnet's link, which I have not checked. I'm just offering it as a possibility.

1) Mount the ISO with Daemon Tools.
    2) Rip with DVD Decrypter.
    3) Create new ISO with PgcEdit and set the break point. Burn.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'd just mount the ISO in a virtual drive program and build a new ISO by pointing ImgBurn's Build mode at the virtual drive.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    If LIGHTNING UK! (he wrote ImgBurn) cares enough to suggest something, then do it!
    Quote Quote  
  8. To be fair, it's the same as your suggestion - but without what I'd consider to be 2 fairly pointless bits - no offence!

Ripping it with DVD Dec wouldn't do anything (except take up more space on your hdd) and ImgBurn does the same job as PgcEdit when it comes to building a new ISO (or burning a new disc) around a new layer break position.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    No offense taken. I respect your work so I'm certainly willing to defer to you on this.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Many Thanks to all, including the latest suggestions from jman98 and LIGHTNING UK!. Before I saw these latest posts, I had a go at this ISO with (first) UltraISO (relatively obtuse and frustrating -- and No Joy), then with Power ISO. The latter was quite straightforward -- at least for this basic task -- not requiring any Guides or consulting the Help Files. You can't always get that, of course, but I consider it a huge design plus when you can pick up a program, and it just does what you want in a fairly obvious and logical manner. This extracted the ISO's DVD structure 1 . . . no, didn't even have to get to 2 or 3. Simple and quick.

Once I had the DVD structure out again, IB had no problems and no errors in handling it. Set the layer break (w/ the 32K padding incl., etc.), Burn the Disc, Done. All is well. I'll keep the rest of these ideas for reference, should they be needed in future cases.

Somehow I never really got around to doing much with ISOs or ISO apps, nor with mounting virtual discs, even though these things have long been on my 'To Learn' List. I guess I just have not run into ISO images very often, except for the occasional bootable CD image to be burned.

The mention of DVDD is interesting. I can recall back when that was the leading tool of its kind available, the discussions here by people who favored working with ISO + MDS format for movie DVDs. At this point, I can't really recall 'Why', or what the advantage they claimed was supposed to be.
    Quote Quote