VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi experts,

I've trawled the web and tried various software but I'm not having much luck in doing what I thought would be a relatively easy job! Hope you can help..

I've got about 5 hours of wedding footage spread over about 6 VCDs that I'm hoping to get on one or two DVDs. I would have thought that since its on VCD and therefore poor quality, I would be able to get it all on one, keeping it in the same quality.

I was hoping to be able to merge the VCD files and maybe do some editing out of unnecessary credits etc. before adding a title menu and some chapters and burning to DVD.

Could anyone walk me through how to achieve this? I have a Mac but also have access to a Win7 laptop too.

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks in advance!
    Quote Quote  
  2. DVD supports VCD MPEG 1 video but not the MP2 audio. Actually, MP2 audio is supported by the PAL DVD spec and many NTSC DVD players can handle it too. To be safe convert the audio to AC3 which is supported by all DVD players. Use software that doesn't reencode the video, only the audio.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks, for your reply.. could you reccomend any software?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Almost no authoring programs accept MPEG-1 video for DVD, although MPEG-1 video for VCD is perfectly valid for DVDs. Years ago I made a test DVD for my own use that has VCD MPEG-1 and AC3 audio, but I had to use a bunch of tools that aren't really newbie friendly and I used an old copy of Scenarist to author the DVD. I hesitate to recommend specific tools as I know one or two DVD authoring programs that might work, but they aren't for newbies. I can warn you that you will almost certainly have to do all this work under Windows.

If you want to have a go at it yourself, GUIforDVDAuthor might allow MPEG-1 video as input for DVD creation but it's not user friendly in my opinion. There are documents online on how to use it, but you may find it more trouble than it's worth to go through them.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    VCD uses an audio sampling rate of 44100 Hz which cannot be used on DVD at all. So the audio definitely has to be resampled to 48000 Hz. Audio formats for DVD are LPCM (the only lossless one), MP2 and AC3.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!