VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Ok so this is beginning to seriously frustrate me. I'm learning to use this software and I'm running into some issues using the playback speeds and velocity envelopes. Whenever I slow a clip down it's fine, and whenever I speed a clip up by dragging it it's fine but if I speed a clip using the velocity envelope it doesn't end where I mean it to it plays forward into the next clip. Also, I can't figure out how to speed up two separate clips in the same video to the same exact speed or factor.

I made a ~1 minute video demonstrating the exact problem I'm having so there isn't any confusion. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated you guys helped me out a lot with the rendering problem I was having before so thanks again for that and in advance for this

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    When "Playback Rate" is adjusted to speed up, a little nub thingy appears, and shows you where it's gonna loop if you keep the physical length the same.

When PR is adjusted to slow down, you have to stretch the clip out to find the looping point.

Regular trimmed clips are dynamic. Trimmed clips each contain the whole clip unless they're subclipped to be static.

Playback Rate only affects the event, not the track.

Velocity envelope is a keyframeable tool that operates at the track level. Any change in Velocity changes the endpoints in clips, so you may want to use the Video Buss Track.

Video Buss track operates on all tracks at once. Video Buss Track has Velocity too, but operates at the project level. So it would affect all tracks.

A way to constrain a clip that's been trimmed, and to keep it from looping is to create a subclip. Another way to say it is, a trimmed clip is not static until it's subclipped.

The way Vegas operates relies heavily on chaining tools. So you have to become intimate with them like a mechanic.

It's very hard to verbalize the concepts in Vegas because they are all visual, and icon based.
    Last edited by budwzr; 21st Mar 2014 at 18:20.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Make clip #4 (in your demo) into a subclip.
    Add the subclip into your timeline
    Make the speed change in Properties.
    It will still extend out past where you want to be -- but now there will be detents at the top of the clip showing you where it loops
    trim back to the first loop
    Quote Quote  
  4. Man I really thought it'd be more simple than this. I tried editing each event individually but the difference in play back rates of each clip is pretty jarring. I also tried grouping the clips together and ctrl-dragging them to speed them up and it works but it only lets me go so far (like up to 4.0 i think) and I need to go to like 18 lol on top of that it moves the clips on the timeline unaligning them with the slow clips and overlapping them.

Basically what I'm doing is making a montage of kills from League of Legends (as an excuse to learn how to do this) where in each of the clips leading up to the kill plays very quickly to the Benny Hill sound effect and then just for a few frames that is the killing blow slows down then speeds up again so it ends up like this

fast|slow|fast|slow|fast|slow|fast|slow|fast|slow| fast
    Click image for larger version

Name:	New Bitmap Image.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	314.8 KB
ID:	24220

Is there no way to do this in a batch action? or at least some way to maintain consistency of speed? I'm just trying to increase the playback rate of the top track, and decrease the rate of the middle track without screwing up the positioning
    Last edited by SpartanG01; 21st Mar 2014 at 18:13.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Copy the attributes from one clip, and apply it to the rest. Like Cut/Paste. To select a batch of clips, hold shift. Just like Windows.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by budwzr View Post
    Copy the attributes from one clip, and apply it to the rest. Like Cut/Paste. To select a batch of clips, hold shift. Just like Windows.
    Hmmm.... I will try this.... Ok that sort of worked, but now all the clips loop a couple times before they get to the next clip, how do I fix this? I've never had this happen when speeding up a clip
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The clip, known as an "Event" in Vegas, is a container that references the actual clip. Timeline events are associated with the timecode of the project, not the event. Does that make sense?

You can have an empty event and add media to it. Any media. Stills, Gradients, masks, whatever. The length of the event itself determines the runtime.

EXAMPLE: If you have a ten second event containing a five second video, that video will play twice unless you resize the event to match the runtime.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by budwzr View Post
    The clip, known as an "Event" in Vegas, is a container that references the actual clip. Timeline events are associated with the timecode of the project, not the event. Does that make sense?

You can have an empty event and add media to it. Any media. Stills, Gradients, masks, whatever. The length of the event itself determines the runtime.

EXAMPLE: If you have a ten second event containing a five second video, that video will play twice unless you resize the event to match the runtime.
    Ok I think im getting a handle on this, I'm having to drag the slowed down clips out by hand to get to the point where I want them to be, or drag the sped up clips in to the first loop point and now it's going smoothly. It's tedious and stuff but its working now at least
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Eventually, you'll get that ah-ha moment if you haven't already.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by budwzr View Post
    Eventually, you'll get that ah-ha moment if you haven't already.
    I'm working on the timing and stuff but i think I've got the hang of it for now this is a chunk of the video I'm working on

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Nice.

You can ungroup the audio so it can be retimed separately. Select the clip and press "U" (ungroup). That might help to smooth it more.

If you drill into the clip, and enlarge the track vertically, you can do very precise velocity changes.
    Last edited by budwzr; 22nd Mar 2014 at 10:48.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by budwzr View Post
    Nice.

You can ungroup the audio so it can be retimed separately. Select the clip and press "U" (ungroup). That might help to smooth it more.

If you drill into the clip, and enlarge the track vertically, you can do very precise velocity changes.
    I did retime the audio separately lol I know it's rough I finished the audio portion in about ten minutes just to demonstrate it to a friend. I'm going to completely redo it with a cut up version of a different song.

What do you mean enlarge the track vertically though?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Make it taller. Grab on the bottom edge in the left column. Velocity is easier to edit.
    Quote Quote