VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    *topic*

HOW do I do that? I've tried using TSmuxer, but it only extracts audio tracks into .mpa-format that I cannot use for much. And apparently ProjectX doesn't allow me to extract just 1 audio track...

What program should I use then?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Haha. what the heck? I run the .exe and it doesn't do anything... just a command window opens and then it closes again. is this for Linux? does say windows, but oh well... how do i use this? ... google didn't help me much either...

i am getting frustrated at this! so frigginly DIFFICULT it is to just extract 1 audio track out of 4 audio tracks from a .ts/.m2ts file in a different format that .mpa - but NO program allows you to do that! and .mpa gets desynced with the video anyway! so frustrating!

EDIT: Found a GUI for that program, but that didn't get me anywhere either as it doesn't support .mpa ...
    Last edited by elgy; 23rd Jan 2011 at 16:38.
    Quote Quote  
  3. it's a command line utility. Open a command prompt

there are some gui's for it, but they might not have all the functionality

very easy to use
    http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Eac3to/How_to_Use

for example if track 2 was to be extracted , and it was ac3

eac3to input.m2ts 2: audio.ac3

That's it! Very simple. It even fixes audio gaps and delays which can cause sync problems otherwise

The track numbers are listed when you run it through

eac3to input.m2ts

maybe mpa is the only audio type in your stream? what does mediainfo say (view=>text)
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    it's a command line utility. Open a command prompt

there are some gui's for it, but they might not have all the functionality

very easy to use
    http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Eac3to/How_to_Use

for example if track 2 was to be extracted , and it was ac3

eac3to input.m2ts 2: audio.ac3

That's it! Very simple. It even fixes audio gaps and delays which can cause sync problems otherwise

The track numbers are listed when you run it through

eac3to input.m2ts

maybe mpa is the only audio type in your stream? what does mediainfo say (view=>text)
    So... how do i do this? put the eac3to-folder to the folder where i got the files i want to extract the audio from or just start cmd, go to the eac3to folder, run the .exe, then command myself to the video files folder and then use those mentioned command lines, huh?

let's see... i opened the .meta-file (created by TSmuxer) with notepad, and there it says: "lang=eng#A_MP3" for the track i want to extract... so i dunno why it extracts the files into a .mpa when i use "demux"-option.....
    Quote Quote  
  5. if you used -demux , it will demux all tracks. If .mpa was demuxed, that's what it is. Convert it to something else if you want like wav. eac3to can do this

what does mediainfo say the audio is?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, but i just deselect the other tracks and choose just the track i want to demux. i see... so .mpa is the only format, and then i have to convert that to...whatever is best for 2-channel audio (is it .wav or .mp3?) - and i use eac3to as i said in my previous post, yes?

well, here's the info i got from MeadiaInfo (text-format):

Audio #2
    ID : 677 (0x2A5)
    Menu ID : 3207 (0xC87)
    Format : MPEG Audio
    Format version : Version 1
    Format profile : Layer 2
    Codec ID : 4
    Duration : 19mn 22s
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 256 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Delay relative to video : -372ms
    Stream size : 35.5 MiB (5%)
    Language : English

Dunno if that helps much...
    Quote Quote  
  7. yes that's what it is - mp2 audio (it's the same as mpa)

if you're importing into NLE, then convert it to wav if it doesn't accept mp2
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    NLE, what's that? ...

can i just change the .mpa to .mp2 or?
    Quote Quote  
  9. NLE = non linear editor

You were complaining in the other thread about not being able to import audio

Try renaming it.

But all NLEs should accept wav
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ProjectX in demux mode will extract all streams - just throw awsy what you don't need. See my wiki on possible setups of the presettings that might be useful. link under my sig
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    it worked just changing the file from .mpa to .mp2 ! thanks!

but... i cannot seem to understand HOW to get a 21min file to be in a .mp4 format (1280x720), 192kb/s 2-chan audio and be about 200-250mb of size! whenever i try to render, it gets about 4-500mb! i have many other video files that are in .mp4, 1280x720, 192kb/s and from 200 to 250mb in size... how do they get that size and i don't?! what am i doing wrong?
    Quote Quote  
  12. filesize = bitrate x running time

you need to adjust the bitrate to achieve a set filesize target
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I see. And for 1280x720, having a bitrate of 6000 will cause the filesize (21min long clip) to be GIGANTIC, right? So i will need bitrate to be what...1500 or something in order to get it at 250mb'ish... hmm... i just tried to render it with 640x480 full-screen (4:3), 129 kb/s and 1500kbps for bitrate... it gave me a filesize of 250mb... so yeah, i don't know how to get that same filesize with 1280x720... and when i try to put bitrate below 6000kbps when setting it to HD 1280x720, it doesn't allow me to put bitrate below 6000kbps...
    Quote Quote  
  14. Dimensions have nothing to do with it. That equation really is an equation. It's a universal law

File Size = Bitrate x Running Time

The bitrate includes audio + video

6000Mb/s will be exactly 2x as large as 3000Mb/s

It's just math
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I see. So i'll need to find a way to procude a .mp4 file with 1000~1500kbps bitrate since the settings of the video editing program doesn't allow me to do that.... hmmm.. what's the most common used bitrate for 20~25min long clips in 1280x720, do you know that?
    Quote Quote  
  16. common used bitrate for what? blu-ray ? flash? pc playback ? apple TV ? wdtv ?

good quality? bad quality ?

720p24 ? 720p60 ? 60fps will require more bitrate than 24fps

It also depends on content complexity. High content complexity material will require lots more bitrate for a certain level of "quality"

It's IMPOSSIBLE to answer that question without the context. Why do you even care how big the file is?
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    well, i just don't want the file to be THAT massive due to diskspace etc.

ok, here's an example of how i would want the file to be, and i can see from this that i must get the bitrate down to 1500kbps in order to get the filesize around 250mb:

Code:
    Format                           : MPEG-4
    Format profile                   : Base Media / Version 2
    Codec ID                         : mp42
    File size                        : 249 MiB
    Duration                         : 23mn 9s
    Overall bit rate                 : 1 501 Kbps
    Encoded date                     : UTC 2010-11-06 13:29:02
    Tagged date                      : UTC 2010-11-06 14:38:04
    Writing application              : HandBrake 0.9.4 2009112300

Video
    ID                               : 1
    Format                           : AVC
    Format/Info                      : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile                   : Main@L3.1
    Format settings, CABAC           : Yes
    Format settings, ReFrames        : 2 frames
    Codec ID                         : avc1
    Codec ID/Info                    : Advanced Video Coding
    Bit rate mode                    : Variable
    Bit rate                         : 1 309 Kbps
    Width                            : 1 280 pixels
    Height                           : 720 pixels
    Display aspect ratio             : 16:9
    Frame rate mode                  : Variable
    Frame rate                       : 23.797 fps
    Original frame rate              : 23.809 fps
    Minimum frame rate               : 11.903 fps
    Maximum frame rate               : 23.810 fps
    Color space                      : YUV
    Chroma subsampling               : 4:2:0
    Bit depth                        : 8 bits
    Scan type                        : Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame)               : 0.060
    Stream size                      : 222 MiB (89%)
    Writing library                  : x264 core 79
    Encoding settings                : cabac=1 / ref=2 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x1:0x111 / me=hex / subme=6 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.0:0.0 / mixed_ref=0 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=0 / 8x8dct=0 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=3 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / mbaff=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=2 / b_pyramid=0 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=1 / wpredb=0 / wpredp=2 / keyint=240 / keyint_min=24 / scenecut=40 / rc_lookahead=40 / rc=abr / mbtree=1 / bitrate=1309 / ratetol=1.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=10 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00
    Color primaries                  : BT.709-5, BT.1361, IEC 61966-2-4, SMPTE RP177
    Transfer characteristics         : BT.709-5, BT.1361
    Matrix coefficients              : BT.709-5, BT.1361, IEC 61966-2-4 709, SMPTE RP177

Audio
    ID                               : 2
    Format                           : AAC
    Format/Info                      : Advanced Audio Codec
    Format profile                   : LC
    Codec ID                         : 40
    Bit rate mode                    : Variable
    Bit rate                         : 159 Kbps
    Maximum bit rate                 : 209 Kbps
    Channel(s)                       : 2 channels
    Channel positions                : Front: L R
    Sampling rate                    : 48.0 KHz
    Compression mode                 : Lossy
    Stream size                      : 26.4 MiB (11%)
    oh well, i guess i just have to play around with the editors a bit and then see how it turns out.

one more question.... do you know why i see black "boxes" on the left and right side of the video once i've rendered it? is it because i had the aspect ratio at 4:3 instead of 16:9, perhaps? and when i render a movie/clip, and want it to automatically "fill" the screen once i view the clip in full screen, i should not use "keep aspect ratio", right?

thankies a bunch for guiding me around so much, poisondeathray! MUCH, much appriciated that, to be honest! glad you too time to help me as much as you did.
    Quote Quote  
  18. If it's pillarboxed, the you probably should have picked 16:9 if the source was 16:9 . I don't know what software you're using
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    heh, it's quite funny (but utterly DOH and frustrating), but i am currently trying to decide WHICH software/video editing app i should use... Cyberlink's Power Director 9 is easy to use when it comes to cutting/editing clips and stuff, but it annoys that one cannot fully customize the OUTPUT of the file! it has several limitations, even if i am using the paid version. Then we've got Sony Vegas Pro 9 (can't use 10 for some weird reasons) that has some really lame issues: 1) when importing a clip, the sound has vanished somewhere, and i cannot get the sound to appear when playing the clips in the editor, which sucks! 2) the editing, clipping/croping etc. is troublesome as well. the output options are however great! Then it's Adobe Premiere Elements 9 that doesn't allow me to import .ts files into it, so that basically that app out since i've got 3000 .ts files and it'd take SOME time to name them to .m2ts instead....

so yeah, i am kind of "stucked" in a way now...
    Quote Quote  
  20. I don't use any of those except vegas pro, and premiere pro

premiere pro will import virtually anything, maybe the elements version has some restrictions ?

you could batch remux your .ts streams with ffmpeg into .m2ts with a .bat file to save time
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I see. Well, I'll try it out and see how it works out. Thanks a bunch for the help!
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    also, what's the best GUI for ffmpeg? Avanti or WinFF?
    Quote Quote  
  23. don't use a gui if you want to batch

try it out on a few files first to see if you editor will accept it

1) download ffmpeg , place copy of ffmpeg.exe in same folder as videos to be converted

2) in notepad, write the following, save it, rename extension from .txt to .bat

for %%a in ("*.ts") do ffmpeg -i %%a -vcodec copy -acodec copy -f mpegts %%~na.m2ts

3) double click .bat file

This might not work if you have multiple audio tracks, you might have to use -map function

So if you wanted just video & audio and it was stream #0 and #1 (you have to check), use map 0:1

for %%a in ("*.ts") do ffmpeg -i %%a -map 0:1 -vcodec copy -acodec copy -f mpegts %%~na.m2ts
    Last edited by poisondeathray; 23rd Jan 2011 at 23:24.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ok.

yes, i do have multiple audio tracks WITHIN those .ts files... and it's audio track 2 on each of those .ts-files that is the audio track i will be using.

i will try and see how it goes tomorrow.
    Quote Quote  
  25. You have to check the info that ffmpeg give you - use the numbering that it gives you, so it might be -map 0:2

Sometimes the audio is track #0

IF the editor still doesn't like mp2 or mpa audio ,you can batch convert audio to wav or ac3 & rewrap into .m2ts in 1 step with the .bat file

instead of "-acodec copy" , use "-acodec pcm_s16le" for pcm wav, or you could convert to ac3 instead
    Last edited by poisondeathray; 23rd Jan 2011 at 23:38.
    Quote Quote