VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The best DV AVI to MPEG-2 Encoder for me to use.

I want to put my avi files onto DVD. I have been told that Nero 7 automatically encodes avi files, but does not do a very good job at it.

So i want an alternative encoder. Does anyone have any recommendations for me. I don't care if the encoder is slow or if you have to pay a little money for it. Im looking for one that will keep in the quality top notch and ideally one that is fairly simple to use!!

Cheers!
    Lee
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Top notch and simple rarely go hand-in-hand.

Are you intending to edit your video ? If so, with what ?

Most editors come with a built-in encoder - usually the mainconcept encoder, which does a pretty good job. How configurable it is depends somewhat on the software you use. Beginner editors, such as Ulead VideoStudio, tend to hide more settings than some like Premiere or Vegas.

If you want a standalone encoder, I would recommend HCEnc. It isn't the most user friendly - it requires a basic avisynth script to load the video, and has a bit of a learning curve at the beginning to set it up, however it is free, and the quality is easily on par with many payware encoders costing hundreds of dollars.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok I would prefer quality rather than simple. I can learn!!

Im only looking to edit my videos very basic. I.e Add a bit of music and a few different effects. So i have just gone with good old Windows Movie Maker. It works for me. So after I have edited I just publish to computer as AVI. Now my next step is to get it onto DVD.

So this HCEnc keeps the quality of the video the same yeh? What is avisynth script? Is it just something i can download in order for HCEnc to work? Please explain.

Cheers for a very quick reply!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    TMPGEnc XPress does the best job for me & is very easy to use, but it's not free ($74.95).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thats very impressive.

I don't mind paying a little bit for something. So i think i might go for this.

My OS is Vista...will it work on Vista??
    Quote Quote