VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Converting WAV file to Dolby® Digital 5.1 Surround

Using tool Vegas 5 make 100% DVD compliant 5.1 Surround AC3 files.

Important note: to enable Dolby® Digital plug in Vegas 5
    you need purchasing DVD Architect or ac3 plug-in

In this guide I convert 2 channels WAV file to 5.1 Surround AC3 file to hear in all speakers not only in front speakers.

The configuration of the Dolby® Digital plug

To convert from Dolby® Digital 2.0(2 channels) to Dolby® Digital 5.1 Surround,
    you need convert AC3(2 channels) file to WAV (2 channels)
    for guide without losing sync and quality click here.(TMPGEnc Sound Plugin required)
    The VEGAS not importing AC3 files.

Ok like BJ_M wrote:
    i.e. for a simple stereo -> 5.1 , you put the stereo track on 5 audio tracks and in each you select (L only (pan to 70-80% left)) - (R only (pan to 70-80% right)) - repeat above at 12dB down for rear surround tracks (add small reverb or delay) - (R+L (LFE channel))

for center -- add nothing .. or add a track and (L+R) 18dB down pan center

END OF STORY.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So when a wave file is made from a dvd and then back into Dolby 5.1 does it not defeat the purpose or are you saying that dvd architect simulates the effect of dolby 5.1. I ask because I always thought of it as encoding a mpg 1 file to mpg 2 higher bitrate(basically the details is already lost)
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    by the way an excellent guide and effort.
    thanks
    Quote Quote  
  4. it's definitly a good guide, but what's the use of faking 5.1. The only thing you do is forcing a stereo sound to be played out of 6 speakers ?!?!? You won't get a 5.1 effect with it, so IMO it's better to stick with DD2.0.
    Quote Quote  
  5. If you're going to use the DD track in DVD-Lab, make sure that you select 'none' under the preprocessing tab...if you don't, the menu and track audio will be different volumes.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Good guide, but it's only a copy of the Vegas help file which comes with the software.
    It is nice to see 5.1 ac3 on a timeline of an authoring software, but if a source is a stereo, you get no real surround sound.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Good menu tour but you could at least add some generic ambient sounds (or maybe a laugh track?) to the surrounds and some percussion to the center and LFE.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    often rather pointless to do for a stereo track -- and in fact the incorrect method (sorry, but you are way off) ... your alcons would be awful in the method above and the ac3 surround not proper.

in vegas - you should duplicate the tracks and select which channel ...

i.e. for a simple stereo -> 5.1 , you put the stereo track on 5 audio tracks and in each you select (L only (pan to 70-80% left)) - (R only (pan to 70-80% right)) - repeat above at 12dB down for rear surround tracks (add small reverb or delay) - (R+L (LFE channel))

since this is not a correct guide - we should mark it with the mark of Zorro
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    oh yes - another thing, you dont need to purchase DVDA to get ac3 ..

you can still buy the ac3 alone lic from sony .. but for another 100$ or less , you might as well get DVDA
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    fake surround? What about the old music titles like beatles? how did they convert it to surround?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Early Beatles Stuff had 4 track masters. Voices were layered. If they kept the intermediate passes, then more
    tracks might be capable of remix.

Mid Beatles (late 60's on) work has 8 and later 16 track masters that can be easily remixed to 5.1

For 50's stereo and mono recordings, they use cheezy frequency separation filters. To my ears, the result is worse than the original. I'd rather have some current session band provide some punched surround, or just forget it.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by BJ_M
    often rather pointless to do for a stereo track -- and in fact the incorrect method (sorry, but you are way off) ... your alcons would be awful in the method above and the ac3 surround not proper.

Ok, Sorry.
    I thinking its simple, the Vegas make mixing automatic to 5.1.
    I update the guide later, after 6-7 days or less.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Is there a way to do this with a 5.1 channel WAV?

What I'm having to do now is demux the 5.1 AC3 to separate files and then drag all of them into Vegas in order to edit a section of a 5.1 project.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    actually all you have to do is to drag ONE of the mono waves files into Vegas ...

edit your project - keeping that track in sync

the render that track out as mono .. ... then in media explorer , right click on media and replace with next track --> render that track out (mono)

repeat for all 6 tracks ..

you will find this is very quick ...

when done - and have the 6 new tracks -- start a 5.1 project in vegas..

load new tracks

pan to correct position each track

render ac3 5.1
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by BJ_M

I would like to do what you have suggested but I'm confused.
    Could u post some pictures showing what you described.
    I tried to do it the way the original poster said to do it, and it didn't come out to good.
    Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated, as I have been looking for ways to convert 2.0 to 5.1 for a long time
    Thanks in advance
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Surcode.com
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'd like to make the back speakers focus on the music & front speakers to focus on the speech. How do you do that with this program?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You have to have your music and speech on different tracks.

Real surround sound isn't magically pulled from a stereo track. It is made up of lots of individual elements that are carefully placed in the sound field. If you record your dialogue and music separately then you can mix them as you need to. If you have a stereo track with everything already mixed, or you only have the recording from a single camera microphone then you really have very limited options. You can try to use EQ filters to separate out some of the frequencies to see if you can isolate enough dialogue to create a centre channel, but it will usually be muddy at best. True surround sound needs to be planned for fro the outset, not done as an after thought.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is there any way to encode a pair of .wav files, one stereo front, the other stereo rear, into Dolby or other surround format for playback through a standard home theater system?

If this question has already been answered, I would be thankful for the reference.

Jerry
    Quote Quote