VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    I have the following remote keyboard devices, which were purchased for any of three streaming boxes: a Skystream One, A Minix U1, and an Amazon Fire TV (current model). The wireless keyboards are:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Z81U3YY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    (Updated 2017,Backlit) Rii i8+ 2.4GHz Mini Wireless Keyboard with Touchpad Mouse, LED Backlit, Rechargable
    &
    http://minix.com.hk/en/products/neo-a2-lite
    NEO A2 Lite gyroscope remote controller & keyboard

Then, I'm going to try to attach a photo of 3 wireless Bluetooth dongles.

The smallest one -- just purchased from eBay -- does NOT work with any of these combinations. The one with the rounded (or slightly anchor-shaped) head is a 2.4 Ghz. one by Sabrent, one of two now being sold at Fry's Electronics chain. That one does not work with any of these combinations, either. They also sell one by Asus, which is labeled as supporting "Bluetooth 4.0" That one (not shown) does not work with any of these either. The third dongle (on the right) looks a lot like the one from eBay, but it is almost twice as long. I'm no longer sure where I got it or when, but that one works great with each of the wireless keyboards, in combination with any of these streaming boxes. A sales guy at Fry's told me that the Bluetooth standards and frequencies have changed over time. I think that must be the answer: the dongle that works for me is of an older type, which may be harder to find now. (When I plug it into a computer, Windows identifies it as "Sage Airmouse." Maybe this was for BT 2.0, or something ? I'd like to get a couple more of these.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	BT Dongles.jpg
Views:	683
Size:	459.2 KB
ID:	41146  

When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I see no information verifying those peripherals are Bluetooth. Not all wireless are Bluetooth, in fact few external keyboards are, and while some wireless keyboard dongles are compatible with other units, by no means all or even most are.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Nelson37 View Post
    I see no information verifying those peripherals are Bluetooth. Not all wireless are Bluetooth, in fact few external keyboards are, and while some wireless keyboard dongles are compatible with other units, by no means all or even most are.
    All true. According to the product information I saw, the Rii i8+ keyboard is "2.4 GHz Radio Frequency" and the Minix NEO A2 Lite remote control is a 2.4 GHz RF + IR device.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Originally Posted by Nelson37 View Post
    I see no information verifying those peripherals are Bluetooth. Not all wireless are Bluetooth, in fact few external keyboards are, and while some wireless keyboard dongles are compatible with other units, by no means all or even most are.
    All true. According to the product information I saw, the Rii i8+ keyboard is "2.4 GHz Radio Frequency" and the Minix NEO A2 Lite remote control is a 2.4 GHz RF + IR device.
    Thanks. I wasn't aware that the latter was dual usage like that, and was under the impression that Bluetooth was involved here. Is the 2.4 Ghz. the important factor here ? What Nelson37 wrote suggests there is more to it than that.

So far, searching on "Sage Airmouse" was not bringing up any dongles alone, only full sets including another keyboard or controller.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Seeker47 View Post
    Thanks. I wasn't aware that the latter was dual usage like that, and was under the impression that Bluetooth was involved here.
    Your link for the Minix NEO A2 Lite notes that it includes an IR-transmitter, which I'm guessing is used to "wake up" and communicate with some Android TV boxes that include an IR receiver. Your link says RF + IR, but there is no mention of Bluetooth.

A Google search didn't turn up a Bluetooth device similar to the Minix NEO A2 Lite remote control. ...but there is a Bluetooth keyboard + touchpad device made by Rii which looks very much like the RF version. https://www.amazon.com/Rii-Bluetooth-Wireless-Touchpad-Rechargable/dp/B00JO80LVW/ref=s...id=1491501141/

Is the 2.4 Ghz. the important factor here ? What Nelson37 wrote suggests there is more to it than that.
    Many RF wireless devices can use 2.4 GHz (examples: mice, keyboards, cordless phones, wireless printers,
    routers, RF remote controls). Bluetooth devices use 2.4Ghz too, but the communications protocols used for Bluetooth follow a specific standard that the generic RF devices don't use, and I have yet to see a Bluetooth device that isn't specifically labeled as such.

So far, searching on "Sage Airmouse" was not bringing up any dongles alone, only full sets including another keyboard or controller.
    I think you probably need to write to Minix and ask them what to buy.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, I may have to do that.

Looking again at the bottom of the Rii 8+, I see a vacant compartment of the right size: that must be the origin of one of the dongles that worked. Looking at my original order page for it, I see boxes showing both an RF and a Bluetooth model. (You had to specify which, apparently.) That may be where I got the BT notion from, but there does not seem to be any record of which version I ordered. Since there is one more location that can be served, I thought I might just order another of these units -- if it wasn't easy to just get extra dongles. However, I see that nearly all iterations of the updated model are currently out of stock -- unless you wanted one in an orange color. (Ugh.) Some of the previous -- and visibly very similar -- model are still available . . . .

I can say that both of the controllers I linked are pretty good, with different points in their favor. Some reviews of the Rii are saying that it may only last for around a year though: the Li-ion battery is not replaceable, and may have a finite number of charge cycles.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It seems this issue has been discussed in the Minix forums. The "official" advice given is 1 remote or keyboard for 1 particular (its originally provided & paired) dongle; do not mix 'n match. Even if only one device is used in one location at a time. This runs counter to my experience, where I've been able to share 2 dongles among 3 boxes in two locations, though with only one device in use at a time. I remain doubtful that the dongles are that specific, per a particular remote or wireless mini-keyboard.
    Quote Quote  
  8. You may remain doubtful if you wish, however most USB dongles are at least brand-specific, many keyed to a particular model. There are some that will interchange, but most of the better brand-name units will not work outside of their brand. Usage on multiple PC is perfectly OK.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have two Logitech Performance MX mice, both use the new mini-dongle, but each mouse only works with it's dongle. I can't simply swap the mouse and sync. i have to swap the mouse and the dongle.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Krispy Kritter View Post
    I have two Logitech Performance MX mice, both use the new mini-dongle, but each mouse only works with it's dongle. I can't simply swap the mouse and sync. i have to swap the mouse and the dongle.
    Yes, but are you referring to BT or RF dongles -- or does it not matter ?
    If I have to label each dongle to track where it came from and what it belongs to, I will. But, if I can continue getting away with what I've been doing, I'll do that. I'm waiting for a certain RF version of the Ri to come back in stock, and that should provide the extra dongle I was looking for.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Logitech uses RF. My point was in reference to the ability to mix or match receivers between brands (assuming all of the devices use the same type - ie: RF or BT). And I couldn't get receivers from the same brand and model of mouse to work with each other.

And while they all use "2.4ghz", there are numerous channels in that range. And unlike, say home wifi (which also uses 2.4ghz), these types of devices don't get to change channels. So Logitech may get channel 1 & 3, Microsoft may have channel 4, etc.

In other words, plan on the receivers only working with the hardware with which they shipped. If they work with other hardware, great. Just don't expect or plan for it to work that way.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  12. Makes sense to use different channels as you wouldn't want to affect the person sitting next to you with your mouse if they have a identical bluetooth or rf mouse in a business environment.
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote