VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi
    I never knew about separate software like Lightroom until I start learning about HDR editing with various software that had plugins for Lightroom, and some books I read as well. But knew about Photoshop since long.

To me it seems like a natural part of Photoshop rather than a separate product, or?

I also discovered that Cyberlink has this ColorDirector which supposedly do similar things like Lightroom, beside PowerDirector.

Is this just a trick to make believe price is better on "mother"-software, and they remove essential parts and sold separately?

Many things seems to overlap even.

What do you think?
    This software we think are pretty good priced is really stripped stuff so you need to buy several products?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Lightroom is primarily a non-destructive organizational tool, Photoshop lets you do more precise manipulations.

Sure Adobe wants you to buy the suite, but the products do serve different purposes.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    Lightroom is primarily a non-destructive organizational tool, Photoshop lets you do more precise manipulations.

Sure Adobe wants you to buy the suite, but the products do serve different purposes.
    I can't say I get what difference that would be - thought Photoshop was everything to do as graphic editor, kind of.
    - No, we don't add this stuff to Photoshop - we make a separate product of it.

I've just seen it mentioned a lot in books by photographers, but was some boring hands on for postprocessing more than what I expected.

Thanks anyway, I was just curious how it fits in.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Adobe Lightroom (Lr or LR) is a photo processor and image organizer developed by Adobe Systems for Windows and macOS. It allows viewing, organizing and retouching large numbers of digital images. Lightroom's edits are non-destructive. Despite sharing its name with Adobe Photoshop, it cannot perform many Photoshop functions such as doctoring (adding, removing or altering the appearance of individual image items), rendering text or 3D objects on images, or modifying individual video frames.

Two different software serve different purposes
    LR - basic touchup
    PS - full editing

BTW, everything LR can do.. can be done in PS
    Last edited by teodz1984; 27th Jan 2017 at 19:55.
    Quote Quote  
  5. re: I've just seen it mentioned a lot in books by photographers, but was some boring hands on for post-processing more than what I expected.

REAL PHOTOGRAPHERS usually want their ouput to have minumum alterations as possible... Hence the word 'photoshopped' photo has garnered a negative feedback of being unnatural or artificial.
    Last edited by teodz1984; 27th Jan 2017 at 19:53.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by teodz1984 View Post
    Adobe Lightroom (Lr or LR) is a photo processor and image organizer developed by Adobe Systems for Windows and macOS. It allows viewing, organizing and retouching large numbers of digital images. Lightroom's edits are non-destructive. Despite sharing its name with Adobe Photoshop, it cannot perform many Photoshop functions such as doctoring (adding, removing or altering the appearance of individual image items), rendering text or 3D objects on images, or modifying individual video frames.

Two different software serve different purposes
    LR - basic touchup
    PS - full editing

BTW, everything LR can do.. can be done in PS
    Many thanks - good then my assumption was all wrong, you can get by with PS(or that type of graphic tool).

So a little bit about batch processing etc are added in Lightroom as I understood it then.

Software Digital Photo Professional that comes with Canon cameras also has a lot of touch up features, and do cropping and lens corrections in batch mode.
    You can even do some white balancs changes and HDR processing and other stuff.

I come a really long way with DPP alone, but do HDR in EasyHDR and looking what else might be useful.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by teodz1984 View Post
    re: I've just seen it mentioned a lot in books by photographers, but was some boring hands on for post-processing more than what I expected.

REAL PHOTOGRAPHERS usually want their ouput to have minumum alterations as possible... Hence the word 'photoshopped' photo has garnered a negative feedback of being unnatural or artificial.
    That is my view too, REAL photographers - but some books I bought seems overly about post processing.
    Looking at Rick Sammon stuff nothing looks natural, seems to be his way - and maybe a third of the book was about processing in two products where Lightroom was one.

Even the title Anti-HDR Photography Book by Robert Fischer was 2/3 about processing in lIghtroom and Bridge and Photoshop as well. Some good stuff in there, but too little about the "why".

But now have found a couple of books that really is about photography and the art of it more than processing. One from Mark Bauer and Ross Heddinott and a couple from Tom Ang. Really good stuff to enter the minds of long time professionals.

Another about telling stories with video by Barry Braverman the Video Shooter is also unbelievably good.

But guess the digital formats invites to process a lot. But would be nice if able to capture real good photos to start with.

The audio and home recording world, which I am more familiar to, can also focus too much on sound quality and forget about the art of the music in there.
    If it's not art to start with you can process all you want and it does not make want to listen again.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just want to add that there are a couple of good Lightroom alternatives in linux which are free: DarkTable and LightZone
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by racer-x View Post
    Just want to add that there are a couple of good Lightroom alternatives in linux which are free: DarkTable and LightZone
    Thanks - if next computer buy is only windows 10, I might look at Linux instead.
    But good reference for community here, I'm sure.

I've got previous version of ColorDirector that I got for doing a survey for Cyberlink PowerDirector, and will have a look what might be part of that compared the NLE.
    Quote Quote