VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi

I'm hoping someone will be able to help me here please, I'm completely stuck.

I'm trying to rip a dvd to audio file for transcription, but I'm able to rip every VOB except the first.
    IF I look at VTS_01_1.vob G-Spot shows this:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	chapter 1 initial.png
Views:	598
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	35963

And if I hit the MS A/V 2 button the video & audio render OK.

All of the other VOBs analyse like this:

Name:	chapter 2 initial.png
Views:	444
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	35964

Or in AVICodec:
    VOB 1

Name:	chapter 1 AVICodec.png
Views:	354
Size:	13.8 KB
ID:	35965

VOB 2

Name:	chapter 2 AVICodec.png
Views:	412
Size:	13.9 KB
ID:	35966

Could someone explain a couple of things please?

Why would the file type of the first VOB be 'DVD VTSI file (VTS_XX_0.IFO/.BUP)?
    (The IFO & BUP files exist in the folder in their own right, and are for different purposes than the VOB files as far as I understand it.)

How come codec analysers can render it using installed codecs, but programs like Audacity just say they have no idea what time of file it is & to try RAW? (VLC just pretends it never saw it when I try to open it in that).

Anyone had a similar problem?
    Is it a common issue?

Many thanks for any help,
    Pauliolio
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	chapter 1 initial.png
Views:	210
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	35962  

Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    1) Stop messing with individual VOB files.
    2) Does this disc have copy protection?
    Quote Quote  
  3. I wouldn't be messing with the individual files if I got the whole of the audio the usual way

Nope, no copy protection. It's a video recording of an interview made by one of our staff and I need to get an mp3 of the audio for transcription.

The interview recorder's got to be doing something weird with the first vob. Well, it is. As can be seen above
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Inside the settings of the old DVDDecrypter program there are settings that will separate audio from video while copying.....you can even set it to give you ONLY the audio.....no video at all. (Stream Processing Tab)
    All you'd need to do then is drop that audio into something like GoldWave or Audacity and make it into something other than AC3.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I thought the first vob in the title set (unless it's the only VOB) was supposed to be 1GB ?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Do not treat DVD by grabbing a VOB (even correct one) and working with it. Rather use a software that can demux DVD tile as a whole, whatever works, recommended DVD decrypter or PGCdemux or DGindex and DEMUX that audio stream from a DVD title, not single VOB.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I agree.

If all you want is the audio open all the VOBs at once in DGIndex. Then File->Save Project. That's all. It'll give you the audio (AC3) together with a D2V project file you can delete.

If it turns out there's something wrong with the very beginning of the resulting audio file, either cut it away later or start over again with DGIndex, this time using the '[' button to skip over the screwy part. But I don't think that will be necessary. Then take the AC3 audio and convert to MP3.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Hey Guys - Many thanks for the suggestions & help.
    It's definitely a matter of knowing which tools are best for the job. I'd already tried several programs I'd found on the net to convert DVD video, but they all missed the first section (the first vob) in the output. That's the only reason that I was looking at the VOB files individually.

I used DVD Decrypter to produce a single audio vob, then Audacity to convert it to mp3.
    Easy when you know how

Thanks again peeps.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Nice.
    Quote Quote