VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm converting my DVD library to MP4s using Vidcoder. All of my DVD's are lectures, sermons, and old TV programs that have been converted to DVD from VHS. So, since these aren't movies, they don't show in HD. Visually, will it make a difference if I use the mp4 codec vs h.264, and would you recommend me doing such? I only ask because it's MUCH quicker to rip using the mp4 codec and I have hundreds of discs to rip so saving time would be great.
    Quote Quote  
  2. mp4 is not a codec, it is a container. It usually contains h.264. Try converting a short section of your disc using each setting and see which looks better. Tweak from there.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Vidcoder gives the option of H.264 or MP4 as the choice codec, so I'm not sure what it could be speaking of
    Quote Quote  
  4. I believe Vidcoder's "mp4 codec" is "MPEG 4 part 2". Divx and Xvid are also implementations of that spec. h.264 offers better quality and/or smaller file sizes than MPEG 4 part 2. Use h.264 if all your target devices support it and you can live with the longer encoding times.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Vidcoder gives the option of H.264 or MP4 as the choice codec
    It says MPEG-4 not MP4 as codec, ie h.263/Xvid/Divx. It's not as effecient as h.264 for compression, ie larger file for comparable quality, but as suggested run some test for short sections. I often prefer MPEG-4 as I find the picture "softer" than h.264 encoded with x.264 - but you find your preference.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Ahmad770 View Post
    I'm converting my DVD library to MP4s using Vidcoder. All of my DVD's are lectures, sermons, and old TV programs that have been converted to DVD from VHS. So, since these aren't movies, they don't show in HD. Visually, will it make a difference if I use the mp4 codec vs h.264, and would you recommend me doing such? I only ask because it's MUCH quicker to rip using the mp4 codec and I have hundreds of discs to rip so saving time would be great.
    Aside from previous comments:

To "rip" does not mean to re-encode. A rip is a 1:1 copy, sometimes requiring decryption, but it's not re-encoding. What you are doing is rip + re-encode.

If your videos are SD, they'll be SD when they're re-encoded. h264 does not automatically make it HD, and re-encoding in itself doesn't improve anything. More often, lossy re-encoding is a quality loss, more or less depending on how it's done.
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
  7. Thank you for the replies
    Quote Quote  
  8. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I use VidCoder quite a bit for DVD conversions to MKV. With my PC, I just convert directly from the DVD in the optical drive instead of ripping. Saves time.

For commercial DVDs, I use set Detelicine and Decomb filters to default. Constant quality at 19.5 and constant bitrate. Audio to AC3. All else to default settings.
    You can use a higher CQ number if your source video isn't that good.

It takes about 12 -15 minutes per DVD conversions. It helps if you have a couple of optical drives. I have three. I've converted over a hundred DVDs so far. No problems.
    Quote Quote  
  9. constant bitrate
    Constant framerate?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Yes. Constant Framerate. Sorry.
    Quote Quote