VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hey Guys,
    Is it at all possible to record in 30fps from a Hauppage HD PVR, as when trying to edit the 60fps 720p footage, it crashes my Sony Vegas, and i know my PC isn't brilliant, but when i convert it down into 30fps, it works fine editing it, but the conversion process takes a very long time, so im wondering if it possible to cap at 30 fps to start with, and atm im using Arcsoft Total Media Extreme, is there anything better to use?
    thanks and i hope someone can help
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i use handbreak to convert down if i need to. i also use the total media software which is limited. i havent tried to use it with anything else, maybe wintv7? i guess it depends what software your using. i dont typically set up my box to cap when im not there like a pvr. using handbreak i take a 35-40min clip and it takes about an hour per pass on my pc. i always use 2 pass when encoding/converting. i also resize as well. as to your original question of whether or not you can cap at 29.97 fps, maybe in wintv7
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Both the Hauppauge HD PVR and Colussus cards are only capable of recording what they see. 60fps in = 60 fps recording. 29.97 fps in = 29.97 fps recording. The software that comes with them doesn't allow you to change the fps from what the device sees. What it sees is what it records.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I thought the Hauppauge 1212 HD PVR records what it's feed from the source and is not user adjustable. If I set the source to 1080i I get 29.970i, or to 720p I get 59.94p.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by xX-Towrd01-Xx View Post
    Hey Guys,
    Is it at all possible to record in 30fps from a Hauppage HD PVR, as when trying to edit the 60fps 720p footage, it crashes my Sony Vegas, and i know my PC isn't brilliant, but when i convert it down into 30fps, it works fine editing it, but the conversion process takes a very long time, so im wondering if it possible to cap at 30 fps to start with, and atm im using Arcsoft Total Media Extreme, is there anything better to use?
    thanks and i hope someone can help
    The Hauppauge HD-PVR uses hardware encoding, so its encoding options for capture are limited to what the hardware encoder can provide. Hauppauge's own specs for the HD-PVR say it can only capture at the following standard TV resolutions:

NTSC: 720p60, 1080i60, 480i60, 480p60
    PAL: 720p50, 1080i50, 576p50, 576i50, 480p50, 480i50

...and the resolution and framerate used for the capture is always going to be the same as the source's own resolution and framerate.

If a different resolution or framerate is needed, conversion needs to be done with MediaConvert, handbrake, or another conversion program. Stick to the standard resolutions and framerates above, if you are going to re-encode. A computer might be able to play something different, but not much else will. Try setting the source device to output one of the SD resolutions if your computer can't handle editing 720p material and re-encoding takes too long.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 19th Mar 2012 at 15:40. Reason: grammar
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mail2tom View Post
    I thought the Hauppauge 1212 HD PVR records what it's feed from the source and is not user adjustable. If I set the source to 1080i I get 29.970i, or to 720p I get 59.94p.
    That is EXACTLY what I said. I don't understand why you didn't realize that.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    Originally Posted by mail2tom View Post
    That is EXACTLY what I said. I don't understand why you didn't realize that.
    Because both posts were being composed at roughly the same time?
    Quote Quote