VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I just made an mp4 clip (here's the mediainfo)

General
    Complete name : C:\Users\Bruce\Desktop\test.mp4
    Format : MPEG-4
    Format profile : Base Media
    Codec ID : isom (isom/iso2/avc1/mp41)
    File size : 2.03 MiB
    Duration : 2s 112ms
    Overall bit rate mode : Variable
    Overall bit rate : 8 045 Kbps
    Encoded date : UTC 1970-01-01 00:00:00
    Tagged date : UTC 1970-01-01 00:00:00
    Writing application : Lavf53.2.0

Video
    ID : 1
    Format : AVC
    Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile : High@L5.1
    Format settings, CABAC : Yes
    Format settings, ReFrames : 4 frames
    Codec ID : avc1
    Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding
    Duration : 2s 86ms
    Bit rate : 8 000 Kbps
    Width : 1 904 pixels
    Height : 1 072 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    Frame rate mode : Constant
    Frame rate : 23.976 (23976/1000) fps
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.163
    Stream size : 2.00 MiB (99%)
    Writing library : x264 core 115 r1995 c1e60b9
    Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=3 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=hex / subme=7 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=3 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=1 / weightb=1 / open_gop=1 / weightp=2 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=23 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=40 / rc=abr / mbtree=1 / bitrate=8000 / ratetol=1.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=0 / qpmax=69 / qpstep=4 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00

Audio
    ID : 2
    Format : AAC
    Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
    Format profile : LC
    Codec ID : 40
    Duration : 2s 112ms
    Bit rate mode : Variable
    Bit rate : 89.0 Kbps
    Maximum bit rate : 320 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Channel positions : Front: L R
    Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
    Frame rate : 46.875 fps (1024 spf)
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Stream size : 22.9 KiB (1%)

and I'm getting a black flashing rectangle in the lower right of the video when I play it with Media Player Classic Home Cinema. If I expand the view to full screen, the rectangle moves to the centre. In Options, Playback, Output, I've got DirectShow Video set to Enhanced Video Renderer (custom presenter) Can anyone tell me why I'm getting a black flashing rectangle?
    Quote Quote  
  2. What about other media players?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    What about other media players?
    It plays absolutely fine in Windows Media Player, and in Firefox's own internal player, somewhat stickily in PotPlayer, and VERY stickily in GOM Player. MPC-HC is my preferred player though so I'd like to see if there's a way to get rid of the black rectangle.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Ok, so we know the problem isn't in the video file. I don't see anything obvious about the file properties that would cause such a problem.

As a test, have you tried different output devices in MPCHC? Try remuxing to MKV and see if the problem persists.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Ok, so we know the problem isn't in the video file. I don't see anything obvious about the file properties that would cause such a problem.

As a test, have you tried different output devices in MPCHC? Try remuxing to MKV and see if the problem persists.
    You're gonna have to tell me how to do that, I'm afraid.
    Quote Quote  
  6. The same place you saw you were using EVR Custom Presenter.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    The same place you saw you were using EVR Custom Presenter.
    I don't know what's happened but suddenly there's no black rectangle. I don't know what caused it, I don't know what made it disappear, I didn't change anything, so I'm a little worried that it indicates something wrong with my computer.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Oh god almighty, now it's back again! But I'm not doing anything! What the hell is wrong?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Now it's gone again. This is driving me up the wall. I'm not doing anything different. What is with this flickering black rectangle?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Have you rebooted?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Have you rebooted?
    A few times today. I'm noticing though that this black rectangle thing isn't happening with any other videos. Just this one. But you said you could see nothing wrong in the mediainfo to indicate why.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Just because I didn't see anything unusual doesn't mean there isn't something wrong with the video. MediaInfo only shows what the headers indicate. Did you try remuxing? Maybe just a remux or a remux to another container will fix the problem. I'd try remuxing to MKV with MkvToolnix first.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Just because I didn't see anything unusual doesn't mean there isn't something wrong with the video. MediaInfo only shows what the headers indicate. Did you try remuxing? Maybe just a remux or a remux to another container will fix the problem. I'd try remuxing to MKV with MkvToolnix first.
    Yep, tried that. Didn't work. Same problem.
    Quote Quote