VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Newbie question:
    I have done many searches on Internet but being a newbie I donot have any idea how to proceed/what to choose...

Video files are on my hd \VIDEO_TS

I am looking for an easy.... program and I want to:

a) cut one (or some) specific parts
    b) preferably on frame basis (not entire chapters as that would result in additional stuff that I don't need)
    c) of course with audio
    d) and with subtitles
    e) not required, but if possible, output to .mkv or mp4
    f) with a preview of the frame
    g) with a minimum of quality loss

As I may be using the program maybe a few times a year at most, frankly, I donot want to spend too much
    money on it and make a study out of it all.

I found VOB2MPG - but I think it is not possible to select parts starting from a specific frame.
    Also there is Avidemux, but I am afraid it is a bit complex and I think .vob files should be converted first (to mkv?)
    Programs like PowerDirector - well they are quite complex and a bit costly for the few 'jobs' a year.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

TIA
    =
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    If the VOB files are within a VIDEO_TS folder, along with IFO and BUP files, they are part of a DVD structure. If you edit them by themselves, that will alter that structure. That's why it often suggested to use a program like VOB2MPG to extract the MPEG files from the VIDEO_TS folders.

But you might look into DVDShrink as a simple editor of VIDEO_TS folders with VOB files.

Outputting to MKV, I would try VidCoder. It is simple to use.
    Quote Quote  
  3. The question is, how hard are you willing to work to keep the subs in sync and selectable? If you don't mind permanent subtitles, want a simple solution, and are willing to spend a little money try TMPGenc Video Mastering Works 5.

If you are willing to spend the time to do everything manually, use MakeMKV to turn your vobs into an mpeg, subtitle edit to extract and OCR your subtitles, an editor like AviDemux to cut your video (though it's only GOP-accurate,) back into subtitleditit to retime your subs and finally re-mux eveything with mkvtoolnix.

The hard part of what you're asking is the subtitles and the frame-accurate cutting (which even the process I've outlined above will not fully achieve.)
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thank you both! Truly appreciate your quick replies, really.
    @redwudz: Yes, I did seriously look at VOB2MPG - there is also a video (165VOB2MPGPRO.wmv) that shows how it works.
    Thing is: AFAIK it only handles chapters, it can do a lot, but limited to entire chapters. I only looked at the video, haven't installed it though.

I haven't looked a DVDShrink, so I am not sure it is capable of cutting unneccesary pieces, joining other pieces.

@smrpix for me 1 subtitle is okay, permanent display. I even tried to: play the video with subtitle, then do a screencapture (SnagIt).
    Quality was not too good, but one way or the other it was 1.not entirely in sync and 2. there was an echo (a split second after each other).
    Cud not figure out the reason, so I went on exploring more 'specialized' tools.
    As for avidemux: I know I had to do some 'extra steps' before things can be used in Avidemux and felt this pretty complicated for, let's say,
    more or less a one-off thing. Because of the 'extra steps' (surely a piece of cake for 'experts') I first wanted to explore other options.

Now, whilst writing, what IF (..) I use VOB2MPG to join the 2 chapters I need - are the subtitles still there?
    Can the created file not be used in Avidemux?
    TMPGenc Video Mastering Works 5 surely is a nice product, but I am afraid, just for 1-2 occassions, it is waste of money.

=
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by vhwul62 View Post
    I know I had to do some 'extra steps' before things can be used in Avidemux and felt this pretty complicated for, let's say,
    more or less a one-off thing. Because of the 'extra steps' (surely a piece of cake for 'experts')
    It's a time drain. That's why for many experts, the cost of paid software is worth it.

Originally Posted by vhwul62 View Post
    what IF (..) I use VOB2MPG to join the 2 chapters I need - are the subtitles still there?
    Sorry, no. Extracting subtitles, converting them to text (in many cases) and retiming them properly is a cumbersome process. Most free editing software just pretends they don't exist.

Can the created file not be used in Avidemux?
    Almost certainly, but it still doesn't really get you where you want to be.

If this is a one off, use the free trial of TMPGenc Video Mastering Works. (I don't work for them.)
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I haven't looked a DVDShrink, so I am not sure it is capable of cutting unneccesary pieces, joining other pieces.
    It will do all of that, and keep subs in sync with the clips. You'll do it in the Reauthor mode. I'm sure there are still some tutorials if you do a search.

It's older software, but still does a lot.
    Quote Quote  
  7. @filmboss80
    (also redwudz)

DVDShrink looks like the best solution indeed, many many thanks for the tip!!
    I have successfully created a new video using DVDShrink (.vob files)

There is one small thing left, maybe one of you can help.

I followed
    "How to cut out clips from DVDs and convert to AVI, MP4 using free software"
    on:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/296328-How-to-cut-out-clips-from-DVDs-and-convert-t...-free-software

That is all clear.
    (I did not create a .mkv or any other 'single file', I left the selections as .vob files in \VIDEO_TS - maybe later I might do this mkv thing)

Now, I have 2 scenes that I want to cut out and store in \VIDEO_TS

Went on as follows:

a. opened the \VIDEO_TS folder
    b. Re-Author
    c. selected chapter 4
    d. did the cut out
    e. copied chapter 4 again from right to left window panel
    (so there is a chapter 4 with 170MB and a 2nd chapter 4(2) with 1500MB)
    f. did the 2nd cut out
    g. clicked on backup

Sofar results are fine.

I use VLC Player to play the files.

Here it comes:
    In VLC Player - I can select a subtitle.
    I select Dutch, no subtitles show up . . .
    Then after a few seconds, I .. again .. select subtitles with VLC Player
    This time a -2nd- subtitle track (Track 2 without a name) shows up - it wasn't there in the start.
    In the start I could only select Dutch.
    By selecting this 2nd track I indeed get the Dutch subs.
    AND... all in sync!

Perfect!

Question: how to have the Dutch subs displayed by default (option: deselect)
    or how to avoid this 'reselecting while playing' ??

Thank you!
    ================================================== ========================

Quote Quote  
  8. Solved.

between F) and G) in my earlier post

Right click on selection

Select: Set default streams
    Select: Audio English (or any other language)
    Select: subtitle languange, e.g. Dutch
    Click on: OK
    Click on: Backup

================================================== ===================

================================================== ===================
    Quote Quote  
  9. Have given it a try to combine the 2 chapters to 1, then convert to MP4 or MKV but with Dutch subs.
    Spent a day on trying out various software.
    VOB2MPG: no merge, no subtitle (free version)
    MKVToolNix: (think ) no merge, no subtitles
    Xvid4PSP: no subs
    Handbrake: no merge, no subs

Got it working by using Vobmerge and then Vidcoder.
    The subs are available, but had different colors.
    (Originally white, but now orange or something)

=

Name:  SnagIt-03062014 150208.png
Views: 1428
Size:  33.7 KB

=
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Have given it a try to combine the 2 chapters to 1, then convert to MP4 or MKV but with Dutch subs.
    Spent a day on trying out various software.
    VOB2MPG: no merge, no subtitle (free version)
    MKVToolNix: (think ) no merge, no subtitles
    Xvid4PSP: no subs
    Handbrake: no merge, no subs

Got it working by using Vobmerge and then Vidcoder.
    The subs are available, but had different colors.
    (Originally white, but now orange or something)

=

[Attachment 25508 - Click to enlarge]

=
    Well now you have thrown a new curve that deviates from your original post, which was maintaining the .vob structure in a VIDEO_TS folder. DVDShrink should have created an .ifo file that would run the .vobs seamlessly, one after the other, with no need to merge -- unless you absolutely require another format, like .mp4 or .mkv.

It might help if you were more clear about what you want for the end result.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Yes, you are right.
    Maybe I am a bit unclear, for which I am sorry.

That said, it is a bit of an 'ongoing learning process' for me: when one thing has been accomplished, let me check if another thing could be accomplished.

Initially... indeed my idea was to get correct working .vob files only. I would be happy if I could manage that.

With DVD Shrink that has indeed been accomplished and I am grateful to all the folks here who helped me putting on the right track.
    (btw it looks as good old DVD Shrink is the only userfriendly tool capable of doing this job..)

So thát part is okay and I am happy with it.

Secondly..
    Then I was thinking as to how I cud share the clip. Initially this was not my idea, but more or less came up lateron.
    At first I didn't think of it, my focus was to first get the .vob stuff correctly working.
    The few minutes of .vob files, well they are 300MB so not really something to easily share

So, instead of -again- asking for help here, I went on trying to figure this out myself, but got stuck.

The DVD Shrink Guide suggested to use Xvid4PSP, but likely that tool is not suitable to 'join/merge' to different cutouts and maintain subs.

I also looked at vobedit, but I am afraid that is waaayyy to complex.

As said, in the end, I got some fair results by using vobmerge and then vidcoder - except then the white subs changed into some
    weird orange which I would like to solve.

Also maybe there is a better way..?
    =
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    The question is, how hard are you willing to work to keep the subs in sync and selectable? If you don't mind permanent subtitles, want a simple solution, and are willing to spend a little money try TMPGenc Video Mastering Works 5.
    @smrpix
    After spending quite some time on trying all kinds of stuff I also tried your suggestion, TMPGEnc Video Mastering Works 5.

All what I wanted went fine,right from the start!
    Incredible!

I think this is really a wonderful product!
    Also I think, for a starter like me, it is very userfriendly and I got exactly what I wanted almost at first attempt.
    Subs are freely selectable and are in sync.
    Based on .vob source the results can be saved as .vob or .mkv or whatever other extension.
    My first try was to join three cutouts: they were joined flawlessly.

It even recognizes my tv-harddisk-recordings in .ts-format...

As a matter of fact I also tried PowerDirector v12 Ultra.
    When opening the -official- DVD it got me some big technical error message that things were not correct.
    Huh..? What now..? How to correct, what should I do, what does it mean?
    Exitt program, restart program
    Then I tried a .ts-file, again some error warning, I think it could not read the file or so.
    Also not I think it is far from userfriendly, a lot of options, features, etc. A starter like me is a lost.
    There is nothing against all the extra's. That's fine, undoubtedly.
    Maybe they should think of a simple and advanced interface.

Anyway, I bought a license on TMPGEnc Video Mastering Works 5 and am happy with it!

=
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!