VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Is there a way to add some type of copy protection to DVDs? I don't care about anti-ripping. Any movie can be ripped to a PC. My desires are much simpler, and intended only for the general population - not the hard core types. For example, if you try to copy a protected DVD on a set top DVD recorder, the chip set is programmed to display a message on the television screen indicating that the movie cannot be copied (because it is copy protected). What is it that causes the chip set to issue that message? Is it something in the video stream? I understand that CSS (Content Scrambling System) which is used by the Hollywood video industry uses encryption keys which are written on an inner track of the disks which is intentionally not accessible by PC drives - which is why codecs are required to play movies on PCs. The heads which are in drives inside of set to DVD players can reach over and access that inner track and read the decryption keys directly. Is what causes the chip set to display the message - simply the fact that it found a key written on the inner track? I'm not looking to scramble/encrypt the video, I would just like the message to appear. I've tried APS (Analog Protection System), but neither of my set top recorders paid any attention to it.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Oy Vey
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    There are a couple of possibilities: CGMS and/or CPRM. Depending upon your connector, could be HDCP or similar. Those 1st 2 are also optional at the production stage (CPRM is for recordables, and sometimes doesn't allow you to choose). CGMS and your previously mentioned APS can sometimes be "flagged" to be added in an authoring app, but my experience has been they usually ONLY get successfully added if you replicate (press) discs, as opposed to burning/duplication.

BTW, your understanding of the decryption keys is a little off, but really don't matter in this discussion.

Scott

PLEASE DON'T REHASH THIS TOPIC! Anybody who is even trying to copy a disc probably already has enough smarts to get to THIS and many other sites, where there's tons of info about getting around what you want to impose.
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 1st Sep 2010 at 15:34. Reason: more
    Quote Quote