VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Using dvd fab 9.1.3.6

recently i tried to rip how to train a dragon it stopped at 7% and then i tried to rip megamind it stopped at 20%

so i thought it was the discs so i got my microfibre cloth out and cleaned off the dust and a few fingerprints and tried again, same result. So i thought maybe it's the laser, went and got the croods and it copied fine. I put in how to train a dragon and it suddenly copied fine 100% but i tried it again to be safe and it stopped a 7%. Megamind stopped at 20% again also.

so is the laser dirty or is the alignment out of place or are the disc bad productions. All the blu rays i ripped before work fine in ripping again, i really don't know what to do lol.

just need a little insight or some advice from some veterans would be awesome.

also if the laser is dirty do you advise cleaning with qtip and alcohol or dust off with blu ray cleaning dvd.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'd stay away from a cleaning dvd's since I've seen them actually damage a drive. Sometimes a shot of compressed air
    can do wonders. Since I don't have a lot of info here, it could be chance the drive is starting to get flaky as such you
    might try to replace it. Could be you need to try different backup software such as MakeMKV or AnyDVD HD.

Some of the very high budget movies are released with tricked authoring on top of AACS protections to make ripping
    more of a challenge. I'm not familiar with that particular disc though.

I hope this helps!
    Last edited by Dougster; 26th May 2014 at 16:08.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Latest version of Fab is 9.1.4.6.

Try a different decrypter to rule out software issues. Use MakeMKV in Backup mode to rip the entire movie to the hard drive.

You'll need to disassemble the drive to properly clean the laser. Use a lint free cloth (or cotton qtip) and a tiny amount of isopropyl alcohol.
    Quote Quote  
  4. make mkv gave me

Saving 1 titles into directory C:/Users/Rei/Desktop/encode subs/Customize/MainMovie
    Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00372.m2ts' at offset '5945948160'
    Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00372.m2ts' at offset '5945948160'
    Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00372.m2ts' at offset '5945954304'
    Failed to save title 0 to file C:/Users/Rei/Desktop/encode subs/Customize/MainMovie/Megamind_SE_t00.mkv
    0 titles saved, 1 failed

basically still stops at 20%

i'll continue with some blu rays around the house i have not ripped yet to see if there are more discs with problems.

i actually already opened the blu ray drive up and dusted it out had quite a bit built up in.
    but really didn't help in being able to read the those 2 discs.

it a samsung blu ray reader/dvd writer model sh-b123

it hasn't had any problems copying blu rays until a few days ago when i was backing up my stardust br.

also i put dvdfab 9.1.4.5 and it still had the same problem.
    also tried anydvdhd and it wouldn't even try to copy saying error while processing disc

Summary for drive E: (AnyDVD HD 7.3.0.0, BDPHash.bin 13-08-02)
    TSSTCORP DVDWBD SH-B123L SB04 0331
    Drive (Hardware) Region: 1

Current profile: BD-ROM
    Media is a Blu-ray disc.

Total size: 20670176 sectors (40371 MBytes)
    Video Blu-ray label: MEGAMIND
    Media is AACS protected!
    Drive supports bus encryption!
    AACS MKB version 21
    Removed AACS copy protection!
    Note: automatic detection of region code not possible with this disc.
    Blu-ray disc Region set to A!
    Possible Blu-ray Java region lock removed!
    Blu-ray Java signatures fixed!
    BD-Live deactivated!
    ERROR processing disc, AnyDVD turned off!

it only copied the 1disc after i had copied the croods so i was a bit stump as to why it wouldn't copy it again.

if the drive is dying what brand do you recommend as a replacement.

thanks for the advice
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There is a possibility the disc itself is bad too. Try another disc if you can and see what happens.
    As for drive brands my first choice is Pioneer. If money is a little tight, you should do well with LG.

Good luck!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Pioneer makes the best BD drives. I've had mine able to read a few discs that my LG drive can't touch. The drives do go bad so if you've had it for a few years it may just be going bad.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sanzo778
    That pretty much screams 'BAD DISC'.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!