VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi to all. I'm making an AVI / DivX backup of a movie.
    I know that, selecting in VirtualDub Video__Select Range I can make two pieces having approximately the same size, but now I'm wondering another thing. Let's suppose I made an AVI 1400 MB in size and then I want to split it in two piecese aboout 700 MB each.
    How can I? Obviously the two pieces won't have te same length, and VirtualDub can split a file selecting a Range only by time/frames.
    If I had an AVI and I wished to split it in 2 of approx. the sane size, how could I?
    Please note: I want to use a free software, and I would just need a sort-of-trialware version which puts a sort of logo on the made parts. I would use that set to understand at which 'time' the '50% size' happens, and I would use the free (!) program VirtualDub to make the real cut.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You'll not be that far off half file size if you split @ half time.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  3. Use VirtualDubMod -- it shows you the byte position within the file as well as running time and frame number.

You can see the byte position in the regular version of VirtualDub too -- go to Options -> Preferences -> Timeline and add %B to the timeline spec. Unfortunately it shows the value in hex so it's a little harder to read.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Nice, that suggestion on VirtualDubMod!! I never noticed it, before!!
    Thanks!!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Another option would be to open the 1400MB AVI in virtualdubmod, video > Direct Stream Copy, then on the Save as dialog use the following:

Should split at 700MB then
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote