VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. It is true that light causes errors in the CD / DVD?

The light on the edge of CD / DVD enters damaging the disc? or no?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    To quote Lordsmurf at digitalfaq.com "Yes. Light bad. Disc fall down, go boom."

Yep, 100% Gamemanico, Gamemanico2, Samus87 and now mediafiles87

ALL your endless questions on this topic were answered at digitalfaq.com in your post: "Protect optical discs from light damage?"
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    You can add retrogamer15 over at MyCE to the list of aliases. He did finally manage to push the extremely patient mods at the Blank Media forum into closing his latest thread.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Rule one: Don't leave your CD/DVDs out in the sun.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Exposure to the elements (heat/cold, radiation, wind with particulates and sand/dirt, moisture, chemicals-acidity/alkalinity) does damage to ... well... EVERYTHING.
    Optical discs are no different from harddrives, tape, books, paper, stone, buildings, or people, except in the specifics of their weaknesses & the timings.

Don't forget: optical discs WORK by shining a light through it (coherent, focused laser).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  6. I spoke of the disk edge, The light on the edge of CD / DVD enters damaging the disc? or no?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    You can do your own experiments you know. Take a thick piece of cardboard. Cut a slit in it and place a cd/dvd/blu-ray disc into the slit, with only the edge exposed. Tape it all together so that the disc doesn't come out. Now leave the cardboard and disc out in the sunlight for a few months, with only the edge of the disc being hit by the sunlight. Come back then and tell us how it went. Don't worry, we'll be waiting with great interest for your results.

No really, we'll be here, waiting with breathless expectation!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    yes you have to wrap the edges in tin foil to keep the bad stuff out.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  9. I keep my CDs and DVDs in slim cases but part of the border is not black and I think if the light go to the edge light can enter the DVD and damage filesClick image for larger version

Name:	httpsuploaddeimagens.com.brimagenscd_slim_case_black_ecoline_1-jpg.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	36392
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	cd_slim_case_black_ecoline_1.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	36391  

Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    And you leave those outside in the direct sunlight for long periods of time?!!

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Exposure to light prevents fungus growth. Win!
    Quote Quote  
  12. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    gamemaniaco is a Brazilian troll, and apparently the Brazilian trolls are the most trollish, most annoying type of troll

http://techcrunch.com/2014/12/15/mark-zuckerbergs-facebook-profile-under-attack-from-b...zilian-trolls/
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    once the light touches the glue between layers on the edge there will be a way in for the dye eating fungus.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    This is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. Everyone knows that you have to use green aluminum foil.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by JVRaines View Post
    Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    This is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. Everyone knows that you have to use green aluminum foil.
    NO! NO! NO!
    It should be red or green duct tape
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    He's not a troll.
    Dense? Maybe.
    Irritating? He can be.
    But it may be due to factors we don't about. For example, certain disabilities. And I'm quite understanding on that front, especially after what happened to me several years ago. I also think some take their knowledge for granted, and his questions are valid.

I've already answered his question here: http://www.digitalFAQ.com/forum/media/7091-protect-optical-discs.html
    And I'm not discussing that topic any more.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    He's not a troll.
    Dense? Maybe.
    Irritating? He can be.
    But it may be due to factors we don't about. For example, certain disabilities. And I'm quite understanding on that front, especially after what happened to me several years ago. I also think some take their knowledge for granted, and his questions are valid.

I've already answered his question here: http://www.digitalFAQ.com/forum/media/7091-protect-optical-discs.html
    Lordsmurf you're the one guy who understood me and helped me, thank you friend but I wanted to clarify on the edge of the CD / DVD if the light go to the edge it will exceed and go to the dye? My slim case is black underneath and transparent in front but the light can go to the edge
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, the edge can be affected, if the disc is full to the edge.
    Again, store in a dark box/cabinet/etc.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    Yes, the edge can be affected, if the disc is full to the edge.
    Again, store in a dark box/cabinet/etc.
    my slim case, see the light arrows in and go to the edge, the DVDR disc and CDR already stored for 6 years this way with indirect sunlight (day and evening) and light lamp fluorescent (night), the dye and the data must die in conditions?

Name:  slimcase.jpg
Views: 1576
Size:  49.9 KB
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    It's the while laminate shelving, or storage too close to your monitor.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    He's not a troll.
    Dense? Maybe.
    Irritating? He can be.

Aha! Defending him confirms a long held theory of mine that you're actually Gamemanico, et al. in disguise! I always wondered why you're so patient with him at Digitalfaq.

On a serious note, it's one thing to have difficulty accepting the best possible answers to this endless questions and another to flagrantly disregard the rules of this forum by re-registering as another yet another user despite his having been banned twice!

On another serious note LS, how are you doing? You had us scared when you were MIA for a while back then and so good to have you back!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I understood you perfectly fine, but you didn't seem to understand me (or just wouldn't respond).

If your light source isn't the overpowering, ultraviolet-rich, superbright stream along the lines of direct sunlight, you have nothing to worry about. Front, back, or side/edge. That's why I asked what I did.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    My guess is that the CD/DVDs will last longer than the poster.

Depends on how many topics he 'risks' with this tripe and Baldrick's patience. Two to date.

And, no, the light does not get to the disk in the manner described. The clear cover edge masks the gap. Oh. Hang on. Why am I even writing this ?
    Quote Quote  
  24. many media optical manufacturers sell their optical discs in transparent tubes where the edge of the CD / DVD is exposed light

indirect sunlight all day (morning and afternoon) and fluorescent light all day for (1 hour) the dye will display error after how many days?
    Quote Quote  
  25. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Let's speak in 'Usenet-ish' for a while:

{{
    welcome to my killfile

*plonk*
    }}
    Quote Quote  
  26. Wait El Heggunte, don't kill this yet. It's too much fun reading all the posters comments.
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Don't know why but this guy always remind me of the character on the tv show Taxi, Latka Gravis.
    Name:  latka.jpg
Views: 1738
Size:  3.7 KB
    Quote Quote  
  28. I test a DVD disc and a CD equal to others who are stored same place with them the test will not be 100% effective in whether all optical drives are good or bad? I have 20 DVD + R 16x Philips and 20 CDR 52x smart buy identical?
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search PM
    I believe a fluoxetine treatment will take care of your disc problem.
    Quote Quote