VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    There has been an announcement from Victor Advanced Media Co. stating that they are closing their business entirely by December. This includes the JVC subsidiaries that sell Taiyo Yuden made optical discs in the US, Europe and Asia. Story and link to announcement over at MyCE: http://www.myce.com/news/victorjvc-media-shutting-down-in-december-76342/
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Seems like more stores aren't selling blu-rays and dvd discs are declining so this will affect online sales as well,i don't like streaming as much or cloud or storing on hdd so this kinda makes me sad.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I still use quite a few BD discs for data backups. None really for a set top player.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    ,i don't like streaming as much or cloud or storing on hdd so this kinda makes me sad.
    Me too.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I burn more BD-R discs, but still burn some DVDs for standard definition recorded TV series that I want to save. I never used TY/JVC media, but I'm still sad to hear that they are closing up shop.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I never found the JVC/TY discs. I wanted to try them but here in "Yurp" it's not really worth the effort to look.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Posts #23 and 24 as regards here in Yurp. Not too much effort, not any problems.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by vkmast View Post
    Posts #23 and 24 as regards here in Yurp. Not too much effort, not any problems.
    I have TY discs, bought here in Germany.
    I have never seen the JVC/TY discs.....these:

I was hoping to see them in either MediaMarkt, Saturn or HWH Multimedia Stores....but they never arrived.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hech,
    yes, those JVC/TY discs seem to have disappeared some time ago from the continent at least, though some UK suppliers still advertise them. I had some spindles of those "premium grade" non-printables as well as "photo grade" ("moon surface") white inkjet printables a couple of years back. Not a bad experience, but maybe there was a reason they were getting scarce after awhile.

I believe the TYs still available here are (mostly) marketed/packaged as JVC-TYs.
    Quote Quote  
  10. This absolutely sucks sh*t. I still use their very nice dvd-r media. Are the Verbatim discs still being made (not the life series)?
    Last edited by mazinz; 13th Jun 2015 at 20:31.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by mazinz View Post
    Are the Verbatim discs still being made (not the life series)?
    Yes, though you have to be careful to get the ones that say AZO on the label.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by Kerry56 View Post
    Originally Posted by mazinz View Post
    Are the Verbatim discs still being made (not the life series)?
    Yes, though you have to be careful to get the ones that say AZO on the label.
    thanks, if I buy them it would be online (supermediastore) I will be careful. I knew to avoid the life series (hmm was it the data life plus that was ok?), but wanted to be sure as to which ones I should be looking for

Just splunked down some money I did NOT want to spend and bought a slew of TY to have on hand
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Wonder how long before Verbatim pulls the plug??
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    When you can't even count on the Japanese for quality, well, I'd say the world is turning to shit.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote