VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I bought a second hand edit computer and I think it has RGB to the video monitor but this has never worked.
    I would be quite happy with a feed to my monitor which accepts composite video. What do I need in the way
    of hardware to do this? Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Composite? Are you trying to connect the computer to an old TV?
    Modern connections are usually, HDMI, DVI or the old VGA (analog)

What connections do you have at the back of the PC?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thank you for the reply. I can see the picture I am editing on the VGA monitor
    but the picture is too small. I need to connect the computer to an 18 inch TV monitor
    which I have and will take scart in. I am told I need an extra bit to make this work.
    Quote Quote  
  4. You will not be happy using composite or s-video on a TV. It will be very blurry. You will struggle to read normal sized text on the desktop. See this post for an example of what you will see on a TV:

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/283861-VGA-to-S-video?p=1756748&viewfull=1#post1756748

Spend a little money and get a used LCD monitor instead.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by John Hod View Post
    I bought a second hand edit computer and I think it has RGB to the video monitor but this has never worked.
    I would be quite happy with a feed to my monitor which accepts composite video. What do I need in the way
    of hardware to do this? Thanks.
    Just so we know what kind of monitor you plan to connect, is this a color grading monitor or a reference/broadcast monitor for viewing video? If so, I don't know what to suggest, but perhaps one of the professionals who has a membership here will be able to help once more information about the monitor is provided.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thanks Dave. Sorry if I was a bit vague. The monitor (I have an 18inch LCD TV which has a scart socket)
    is so I can see the edited picture. I just don't know what I need to get this out of the computer.
    Quote Quote  
  7. You need a VGA to composite scan converter and probably followed by a 4 pin mini DIN (s-video) or RCA (composite) to SCART adapter.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-com-Video-Converter-Remote-Control/dp/B0006GR5QK/

That device offers SCART compatible RGB output (this would be the best quality if your monitor supports it) but it needs an adapter cable. I don't know if it's included.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by John Hod View Post
    Thanks Dave. Sorry if I was a bit vague. The monitor (I have an 18inch LCD TV which has a scart socket)
    is so I can see the edited picture. I just don't know what I need to get this out of the computer.
    What jagabo said. The other option would be a video card with analog TV out, but that is a difficult proposition in 2014.

The problem is that recent video cards with composite or S-Video out are almost non-existent and the few that are available may not come with the breakout cable for the analog TV out port. Used cards may be found, but often have an AGP interface or lack drivers that would allow them to work with a newish PC.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Thanks everyone, I will pursue these leads..........
    Quote Quote