VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have an application where, due to space requirements, I must use a small tablet PC (Windows 7) as a monitor for viewing incoming composite video from a DVD player as the player is operating. This PC will not be used for any other purpose. I'm assuming I'd need a capture card to accept the incoming video and would be grateful for suggestions regarding suitable software for accomplishing this task. THANKS......the Lee
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by The Lee View Post
    I have an application where, due to space requirements, I must use a small tablet PC (Windows 7) as a monitor for viewing incoming composite video from a DVD player as the player is operating. This PC will not be used for any other purpose. I'm assuming I'd need a capture card to accept the incoming video and would be grateful for suggestions regarding suitable software for accomplishing this task. THANKS......the Lee
    Your available software choices depend on the capture device. If the capture device is one of those that uses software to encode video when capturing, and all you want to do is watch the video, then VLC or MPC-HC may work. If the capture device encodes with hardware (a chip built into the device), then you might be limited to the software which comes with the capture device itself.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 29th Jun 2015 at 22:08. Reason: clarification
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks.......good advice. I haven't chosen the capture device yet, so I'd be open to suggestions directing me to the device that uses software encoding.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks.......good advice. I haven't chosen the capture device yet, so I'd be open to suggestions directing me to the device that uses software encoding.
    Which tablet will you be using? It might be helpful to know more about it.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Actually, I haven't selected the tablet yet so that option will be open. Meanwhile, I contacted StarTech and inquired if their SVID2USB2NS capture card would do what I want and they said it would if I used the software they supplied. I've noticed that some of the reviews for this device are less than stellar (!) but since it'll just be used for monitoring, I don't think that should be a problem.
    Thanks again for your replies!

Lee
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Actually, I haven't selected the tablet yet so that option will be open. Meanwhile, I contacted StarTech and inquired if their SVID2USB2NS capture card would do what I want and they said it would if I used the software they supplied. I've noticed that some of the reviews for this device are less than stellar (!) but since it'll just be used for monitoring, I don't think that should be a problem.
    Thanks again for your replies!

Lee
    If you want audio the SVID2USB2NS is not for you. It has no audio connections. The SVID2USB2 does provide audio. The Hauppauge 610 Hauppauge USB-Live-2 is also good and costs less.

You might need a USB 2.0 to Mini USB adapter to connect these capture devices to the tablet. www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Micro-USB-OTG-Adapter/dp/B00BFYH11Q/
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search PM
    If you only need it for monitoring then simply get a small video monitor with loop function so you can pass on the composite signal or simply use a splitter.

If you are budget driven then some old second hand Dell monitor with video inputs for would set you back no more than a few Hamiltons and then some $5 splitter to make it whole.

Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @The Lee newpball is a troll. His suggestions ignore what others want and waste their money. He spends most of his time here starting arguments and insulting various technical professions.

There are inexpensive small battery powered LCD TVs that would work better for watching video from a DVD player than a tablet or either of newpball's red herrings. I'm guessing you have reasons for wanting a tablet.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    <<I'm guessing you have reasons for wanting a tablet>>

Yes, perhaps, but only in case the user later may want to use it for more functions than just a monitor! I've learned to try and think ahead towards possible future requests! And regarding the capture device, audio isn't needed but (thinking ahead?) I may opt to recommend the other device "just in case."

Thanks again. Your comments have been helpful and I'll consider the case resolved now.

(the Lee)
    Quote Quote