VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I recently purchased a Toshiba-Samsung SH-S243D DVD writer:
    http://www.tsst.co.kr/korea/en/product/info_view.php?category=56&pid=55

and would be interested to hear from anyone that has done audio CD writing on this drive. I am very happy with the performance and low noise characteristics of this drive. However, I have found that when I use quality Taiyo Yuden CD-R media on the drive and try to write out red-book audio CDs, such CDs will usually be unreadable on stand alone regular CD hi-fi audio players. This Samsung writer was installed on a computer that already has two other ODDs - a true Plextor writer and a Pioneer BD writer. Both these writers were able to use the exact same type of CD-R media and produced red book audio CDs that had no problems whatsoever being read reliably by older hi-fi audio CD players.

I was wondering if anyone else has used this Samsung drive to write audio CDs and tried playing them on older audio CD players (say prior to year 2000) and had any problems getting the CD-Rs to be read properly. The CD-Rs written out by the Samsung ODD has no problems reading on computer drives or modern DVD players, since newer drives will have better sensitivity. I have also tested the C1 / C2 error rates of the CD-Rs written by the Samsung, by reading them on the Plextor drive using Plextools Pro, and error rates are very low. More than one ODD writing software has also been tried on the Samsung drive, including Nero and Imgburn.

I am returning the Samsung drive but am now worried that if I purchase another different Samsung ODD (such as one of their combo BD reader / DVD writer drives), I might encounter the same poor quality CD burn as with this Samsung drive. I have been using optical media since the mid-90s and this is the first time ever that any CD-R burn has resulted in marginally or completely unreadable audio CDs when played on standalone hi-fi audio CD players.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Despite the rampant anti-Nero hysteria here, a lot of which is deserved, Nero is fine for writing audio CDs. I've been using it to do that for years. I prefer how Nero does it to ImgBurn. I've been using TY CD-R media exclusively for years and not had problems. I have an old CD player from the late 1980s and while I don't use it much, it still works and it can play my CD-R burns.
    I suggest 2 things.
    1) Consider the possibility that the drive is simply damaged for CD-R writing and you need to return it for a new one while you still can. Such is rare but not impossible on a new drive.
    2) Try burning at slower speeds. I burn my CD-Rs at 16x and they work fine. I know you will be skeptical about this but it is easy enough to test and if it works then you don't have to return the drive.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks for your reply. I started CD-R writing on the Samsung SH-S243D drive first at 16X speed. Initially, the CD was not test played on a hi-fi CD player since I hadn't expected any problems, so I did another write with the same Taiyo Yuden CD-R media on the Samsung ODD at 48X, the maximum write speed for CD-R on the Samsung. With both 16X and 48X write speeds, the CD-R showed no difference in the low error rates when tested for burn quality on the Plextor using Plextools Pro, so I didn't think much of it until I was a bit shocked that my hi-fi CD player couldn't even read the CD's TOC, or when it did read it, it was just barely - it took an extra long time and also could not really cue to the beginning of any track and start playback. Up until quite recently, I usually write CD-R at 4X or 8X speed and CD-RW usually at 4X unless I'm using HS-CD-RW, then I might have to write at 10X. if I am just writing one disc, 4X to 10X is perfectly fine. No rush and no risk from poor burn quality at high speed.

I am currently considering a Sony / Optiarc AD-7280S ODD:
    http://www.sony-optiarc.us/en/productshalf-height-drives/ad-7280s

Although recent Samsung ODDs have dual OPC for inner and outer disc areas, I believe I read somewhere that current Samsung ODDs do not employ auto-strategy / self-learning for media. But I am aware that after researching the current Sony / Optiarc drive models, that auto strategy is used. Though I would have preferred the Mediatek chipset in the Samsung ODDs, as opposed to the NEC / Renesas chipsets in the Sony / Optiarc drives, which would provide me with less disc quality information when using utilities such as CD/DVD Speed or Opti-Drive Control. I am also considering a Lite-On DVD ODD though I have read reports that found it mediocre in writing quality, but again it uses the Mediatek chipsets. I am interested to hear of anyone's opinions / experiences on red book CD writing qualities comparing Samsung, Sony and Philips-LiteOn, if anyone does a lot of audio CD writing.

I have no major complaints using Nero to write to optical media. It worked right off the bat with my Pioneer BD drive and wrote to BD-RE without any major problems. I prefer it over Roxio software. I also use other software occasionally, including CDR-Win, which works with specific drives.
    Last edited by onland; 6th Feb 2012 at 20:16.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I use Pioneer and LG drives to write my audio CDs. You are way fussier about this whole subject than I am. For whatever it's worth, the biggest piece of @#$% burner I've ever dealt with is the Optiarc that came with my iMac. I would NEVER buy an Optiarc after my experience with the iMac. The best burner I ever had was a NEC. Yes, I know that Optiar is the success to NEC, but that iMac burner is still pure crap.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I guess everyone has had bad ODDs with each brand. I previously used Yamaha CD-RW drives, and went through 2 model upgrades over time due to drive failure, because by the time the drive failed, they had a faster model out and the original model was no longer available, so I was given a better model through manufacturer's warranty as a replacement. My last experience with a true Sony drive was back in the mid-90s - the first ODD being a Sony 2X CD-R writer (which did not even read CD-RW discs) using a cartridge. Those CD-Rs from that time written on Sony CD-R media (then at $10 a piece) is still fully readable today and yielded extremely low error rates when checked this year (about 15 years after they were written to) with Plextools Pro.

I also tried a Pioneer DVR-219LBK last month, not aware at the time of purchase that it was a Quanta Storage (Taiwan) OEMed ODD. The quality was horrible and nothing like true Pioneer DVD writers I used to use. The QSI OEMed drive would stall playing red book audio CDs in digital mode. Simply awful and had to return them. In the end, I suppose I could still use my Pioneer BD drive to write red book audio CD-Rs at 40X. Just didn't want to wear out this drive, that's all. I wanted to get a cheaper DVD writer as a disposible workhorse ODD.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Have to agree with jman98 on everything.

I also hate Nero but i do like it for burning CD-R's because i can crossfade tracks so there is no pause in between live tracks, etc.

And also with the CD-R burning speed.

I have said it for years and on here when others have said it does not make a diff.

More than a dozen times when people have wondered why my CD burns work in their player or car systems yet theirs don't, the first thing i ask them is what speed did you burn at ?

They say, whatever the max of the CD-R's are....
    52x, 48x,
    LOL!!

And after telling them to burn them again at 16x max, or like i do, 8x, whats a few minutes, it's only a CD-R, it won't take THAT long!!
    They end up working fine for them.

EDIT:
    Originally Posted by onland View Post
    In the end, I suppose I could still use my Pioneer BD drive to write red book audio CD-Rs at 40X. Just didn't want to wear out this drive, that's all.
    You obviously did NOT read what jman98 wrote
    Quote Quote  
  7. I did read jman98's recommendation for lower write speeds, but both the Pioneer BD and Plextor DVD ODDs can write audio CDs at their maximum speed and produce CD-Rs that are fully and reliably readable by my hi-fi audio CD player. Only the Samsung failed at this task (even at 16X). I ran the Pioneer BD drive at 40X and the Plextor at 16X and 48X, all TY CD-R media were readable by my hi-fi audio CD player without problems. As I mentioned, I prefer to write audio at 4X normally, but in this case I need more speed due to the number of discs that I have to write, otherwise it would have been pointless to buy the disposable Samsung if I had to write slower than 16X, because I would use the other two drives. Hopefully that clarifies it better.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    so return it, you got a defective one. it happens.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Crap talking noobs with no real life 14 year experience
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Noahtuck View Post
    Crap talking noobs with no real life 14 year experience
    1000% agree. The OP is talking to hear himself talk.
    Quote Quote