VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hey guys last night a friend gave me his old 32 inch HDTV (Samsung)...

I want to use it as my computer monitor but all it has on the back is a VGA port... My desktop has (2) DVI-D ports

I want to be using DVI-D though, as I think is looks alot clearer/sharper then VGA...

What will I need to connect my computer (DVI-D) to this 32 inch TV which has a VGA input on it...

Thanks guys!!!!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Does the TV have HDMI connections? If yes, then a DVI-D to HDMI cable (or a DVI-D to HDMI adapter plus an HDMI cable) will likely provide a workable solution for video. It may provide audio as well, but that depends on what the video card in your computer can do.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Hello Usually_quiet..
    YES, this TV Does have 2 HDMI slots...

What will I need to buy? Any chance you could send a link to something you suggest?...

And this will provide me with a digital set-up by doing this correct?...

As of right now I am running a VGA cable with it, and It dosn't look too great (as I used to have DVI-D on my other monitor) before he gave me this last night... I def. can see a difference..
    Because this is so much bigger I'd love to get Digital on it as opposed to analog.. then Im sure It'd look great!

Audio is not a concern to me at this point as I have it set-up so that I have sound playing through my big stero speakers.. I figured it'd be better quality this way.. + louder and what-not... Not to mention I have a headset on... 85% of the time.. !
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If the video card has a dual-link DVI-D connection this will work.
    http://www.amazon.com/BlueRigger-Speed-Adapter-Cable-Meters/dp/B004S4R5CK

If the video card has a single-link DVI-D connection, the dual link cables above have too many pins and won't fit, but a single-link DVI-D cable will work with either single link or dual link DVI ports.
    http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-HDMIDVIMM6-6-Feet-DVI-D-Cable/dp/B0002GRUIC

This is an example of a DVI to HDMI adapter to be used with an HDMI cable.
    http://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-P130-000-Female-Adapter/dp/B000BTGVUS
    Your video card may have come with one. As with the cables, dual link DVI-D adapters won't mate with a single-link DVI-D port.

If you do not already have an adapter and HDMI cable to try with it, buy a DVI to HDMI cable. They provide a more reliable connection than the combination of a DVI to HDMI adapter and an HDMI cable.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Hey, thanks for that.. I bought the DVI-D to HDMI.. it worked...

BUT, this isn't looking too good.. ive tried to change the screen resolution aswell.. but it dosn't really look too good..

My other screen is an acer I think 25 inch.... it looks alot nicer then this....

I REALLY like how big it is.... but the TEXT is pretty bad... so surfing the web isn't easy on the eyes... and games dont look great either... =/

It's a 32 inch, I have a ton of different resolutions to choose from...

Do you have any tips or any tricks I can do to make this look better?...

I mean, I REALLY would like this to work, maybe it's just the resolution or something..????
    I put my xbox on and I guess it auto-adjusted and LOOKED GREAT!...

But with my computer connected it looks crap!.. (What am I missing!)..
    (btw I have my other monitor connected aswell now which looks GREAT... so i don't know what I have over-looked on this HDTV... (Ive went through all the resolutions.. maybe it needs a custom 1 or more advanced settings?)

Thanks bud!
    Or anyone who can help... thanks!
    Last edited by sgt244; 12th Aug 2013 at 20:03.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You need to set your computer display adapter resolution to 1920x1080. The adapter needs to be driving the native resolution of the HDTV. Also make sure you set the TV so it's displaying the full pixel size and not an over scanned zoomed in setting.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Yeah man, I just changed it to 1920X 1080 BUT it's like REALLY zoomed out... and have no clue how to change it!

Like, everything looks SUPER SMALL now... on 1920 x 1080!

WHAT NOW?
    Last edited by sgt244; 12th Aug 2013 at 21:03.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sgt244 View Post
    Hey, thanks for that.. I bought the DVI-D to HDMI.. it worked...

BUT, this isn't looking too good.. ive tried to change the screen resolution aswell.. but it dosn't really look too good..

My other screen is an acer I think 25 inch.... it looks alot nicer then this....

I REALLY like how big it is.... but the TEXT is pretty bad... so surfing the web isn't easy on the eyes... and games dont look great either... =/

It's a 32 inch, I have a ton of different resolutions to choose from...

Do you have any tips or any tricks I can do to make this look better?...

I mean, I REALLY would like this to work, maybe it's just the resolution or something..????
    I put my xbox on and I guess it auto-adjusted and LOOKED GREAT!...

But with my computer connected it looks crap!.. (What am I missing!)..
    (btw I have my other monitor connected aswell now which looks GREAT... so i don't know what I have over-looked on this HDTV... (Ive went through all the resolutions.. maybe it needs a custom 1 or more advanced settings?)

Thanks bud!
    Or anyone who can help... thanks!
    You cannot just set your graphics card to output 1920x1080. You need to find out what the TV's native resolution really is. That is the output resolution you need use for your your graphics card. For example, I have a 32-inch 720p TV. Guess what the real resolution is? It is not 1280x720. It is 1366x768.

The TV's manual will have that information. If your friend didn't give you the manual, you may be able to download one from Samsung's support website. If you provide the TV's model number someone here can help you with your settings.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    Thank you Usually...

Since my firend hasn't given me the manual...

It is a SAMSUNG model code is : LN32A330J1DXZA
    Version is : CJ03

Thanks for all your help in advance!
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This is where you can download the manual for your TV
    http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/201104/20110426143219818/BN68-01514A-00L02-110426.pdf

1. Connect the TV to the PC using the HDMI IN 2 jack. (See page 12 in the manual)

2. See pages 34-36 regarding PC display set up. Set your graphics card to use 1360 X 768 for the resolution and 60 Hz for the refresh rate. Use the remote control's SOURCE button to select PC mode.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    This is where you can download the manual for your TV
    http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/201104/20110426143219818/BN68-01514A-00L02-110426.pdf

1. Connect the TV to the PC using the HDMI IN 2 jack. (See page 12 in the manual)

2. See pages 34-36 regarding PC display set up. Set your graphics card to use 1360 X 768 for the resolution and 60 Hz for the refresh rate. Use the remote control's SOURCE button to select PC mode.

THERE WE GO!!!... DUDE, I CANT THANK YOU ENOUGH!!!

HOLY CRAP, All It was ... was that I had to swap it from the HMDI port 1.. to 2 ..and change the resolution to the 1 u said.. aka its native...

Man, I am SO excited right now.... absolutley over the moon...

Thank you SO SO SO SO SO SO much!!!

A+++ to everybody who helped me along with this problem...
    Quote Quote