VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello

I have just started embedding/hardcoding subtitles from an SRT file on to and MKV file using the program XVID 4PSP 5.0. My attempt to harcode the subtitles was successful but ive noticed the new file with the hardcoded subtitles is considerably smaller than the original MKV file. It has reduced from 761mb to 625mb - almost 20% smaller which is quite considerable. Does anyone know how i can use this program to hardcode subtitles and still maintain the original file size i began with?

Thanks in anticipation

Sulli
    Quote Quote  
  2. Filesize = bitrate x running time

Assuming you are stream copying the audio, the audio bitrate will be the same. So just enter the same video bitrate (you probably want to do 2 pass encode, as 1 pass ABR is less accurate, lower quality) . You can use mediainfo to determine the original video bitrate
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello poisondeathray. Thanks for your reply. Im a little confused, probably becuase im not very techincal at all. With XVID 4PSP i was simply loading the MKV file then loading the SRT file, selecting "Encode" and the program just did the rest. When I load the file into MediaInfo as yo suggest the information i get is this : English 720*560 (1:85:1) @ 25:00fps. AVC(High@23.0) (CABAC/4Ref Frames) So i assume the video bit rate is 25:00fps. When you say " just enter the same video bit rate" where do i enter it? Also i have no idea what a 2 pass encode is let alone how to do one. Can you help with this also?

many thanks for your reply

Sulli
    Quote Quote