VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Recorded a large AVI (42GB) file using my HD WebCam, now i cannot open it!
    It was an important family event, and i cannot open the file or do anything with it. Tried opening it with Adobe Premier, Gspot, Windows Player, Quicktime Player, nothing...
    PLEASE HELP!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Try VLC, ffplay

If you open up in a hex editor, is there any data ? If it's all zero's, the file is useless
    Quote Quote  
  3. i used HxD to open it. its not all zeros. ffplay is pretty confusing, what should i do with it?... VLC doesn't open the file.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Just drag & drop the file on ffplay.exe or use ffplay -i input.avi . It can play basically anything that's not broken or encrypted

Does your camera have to "finalize" files ? Or does it come with software to "finalize" files? check your manual . Or have you recorded with this webcam before, and the AVI's were functional right after recording ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Model #?

Have you tried MediaInfo?

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  6. Try VirtualDub or VirtualDubMod. If they find problems they should let you know. If one of them can open it, resave it as a new AVI after selecting "direct stream copy" as the video compression method, assuming you don't want to re-encode the video in the process.

You could also try the same thing with AVIMux-GUI. It'll just remux the AVI (it doesn't re-encode).
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    Model #?

Have you tried MediaInfo?

Scott
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    General
    Complete name : F:\@capture projects\Clip 9.avi
    Format : AVI
    Format/Info : Audio Video Interleave
    File size : 40.3 GiB
    Duration : 10ms
    Overall bit rate : 34 596 Gbps

Video
    ID : 0
    Format : JPEG
    Codec ID : MJPG
    Width : 1 920 pixels
    Height : 1 080 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    Frame rate : 24.000 fps
    Color space : YUV
    Compression mode : Lossy

Audio
    ID : 1
    Format : PCM
    Format settings, Endianness : Little
    Format settings, Sign : Signed
    Codec ID : 1
    Duration : 10ms
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 1 411.2 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Sampling rate : 44.1 KHz
    Bit depth : 16 bits
    Stream size : 1.72 KiB (0%)
    Alignment : Aligned on interleaves
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Just drag & drop the file on ffplay.exe or use ffplay -i input.avi . It can play basically anything that's not broken or encrypted

Does your camera have to "finalize" files ? Or does it come with software to "finalize" files? check your manual . Or have you recorded with this webcam before, and the AVI's were functional right after recording ?
    -------------------------
    I put the record on, then walked away, i think at some point the capture software crashed from the size of the file.
    Quote Quote  
  9. "Duration : 10ms" Doesn't that mean that there is nothing there?
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by TreeTops View Post
    "Duration : 10ms" Doesn't that mean that there is nothing there?
    one would think so...
    i played it by dropping the file onto the FFPLAY...there was a lot of static, and then my voice would cut in periodically...
    Quote Quote  
  11. if i could extract all audio from it at least, that would be great, even if lossy...i could then just clean up in audition and use the information from the audio...
    Quote Quote  
  12. here is the
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ffplay.jpg
Views:	589
Size:	387.1 KB
ID:	26798  

Last edited by mike170; 9th Aug 2014 at 11:33.
    Quote Quote  
  13. here is what i discovered, while playing the file in FFPLAY, the static noise is interrupted by a clear 1-second recording of my voice (all different content) EVERY 13 seconds...
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!