VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If I use my desktop (XP + DVD Shrink + Nero 6 ) no problem., If I use my notebook ( Vista + Nero 8 + Dvd Shrink ) there is no error or whatsoever during the copy process, but when played in a DVD player, dvd has no menu, it starts on a certain chapter, act weird. But if played in the laptop, dvd plays right. I tried different nero version, as well as different media. what could be going on? Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Nero has for a long time produced DVD_Video discs that are not fully compliant. But I've not heard of problems quite like that.

Nevertheless, I'd cut Nero out of your process completely, using ImgBurn instead, which *does* produce compliant discs. This regardless of whether Nero is causing your specific problems. Try again and see. Good luck.

BTW, what media are you using? Put a blank in your drive, open ImgBurn, and it will tell you the media I.D. under the device tab.

[EDIT] And welcome to the forum. While you're at it, use a lens cleaner on your set-top player, just in case.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    DVD Shrink also does not always copy DVDs properly, but it does do a great job at backing up the ripped copy and making it fit onto a DVD5. Try using the newest AnyDVD to rip the DVD, then use DVD Shrink to get the movie to fit onto a DVD5, then use ImgBurn to burn the movie, that is probably going to be the best possible route for you, regardless of what operating system you are using. I also have a laptop running Vista, and I have (mostly) no problems using that same exact process to make a viable copy of the disc.
    "Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven" ~ JOHN MILTON, PARADISE LOST
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Quite possibly Nero 8 is causing the grief here as when you use Nero 6 you don't get any issues, thats why people still stick to Nero 6 .... it works

Or if you are just looking for somethingto burn software, use IMGBurn. It 100% free and does exactly what it says without trying to do everything else, it burns and does that very well. It doesn't alter the DVD specs to try nad 'be helpful' like Nero still does

I gave up using Nero totally now IMGBurn can now handle audio CDs, DL DVDs, ISO's, etc, etc

Also, there is a patched version of DVD Shrink that lets you use DVD Shrink with IMGBurn to burn the ISO's that DVD Shrink produces instead of the default DVD Decrypter. I've been using that 'patch' for a couple of years or so and have had zero issues with it
    Quote Quote  
  5. It's doubtful that DVDShrink is causing your problems. Shrink is very touchy about structure, it almost certainly will simply error out if it encounters any type of copy protection other than CSS. Same goes for giving it a botched rip which contains unreferenced material. OTOH, if it accepts the input without complaint and completes processing, the output will be remapped and playable.

To repeat, clean the lens on your set-top to rule that out. Use ImgBurn instead of Nero. And tell us the media I.D. of your recordable DVDs.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by fred_dj
    If I use my desktop (XP + DVD Shrink + Nero 6 ) no problem.
    I hate Nero.
    Quote Quote