VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I want hardburned subs.

1. from a blu ray rip (mkv), I use Subtitle Edit to get the SRT.
    2. with same program i clean up spelling mistakes in the SRT.
    3. I open SRT in Notepad and verify things are spelled right.
    4. I use Format Factory, add the edited SRT to the mkv, go thru hardburn process to make an mp4.
    5. Open the new mp4 file and the subs have the words spelled wrong! It's as though I never edited the SRT.The original SRT does not even exist anymore.

I have double checked everything, done it all over a few times, renamed the SRT, changed the SRT to SSA, etc but still cant get what i am after.

Ideas?

I like Format Factory due to its font color and font size options.
    There's a lady who's sure all that glitters is gold
    Quote Quote  
  2. Try MKVMergeGUI/MKVtoolnix and de-select the existing subtitles in your blu ray rip.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The existing subtitles in the BluRay rip are spelled correctly. I just can't get those hardburned via Format Factory. You need a separate SRT file.

It's when I use subtitle edit that the spelling first goes bad.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Have an example? Missing letters, wrong letter, and transposed letters can all be caused by different problems. Are you sure you are not saving from notepad in ANSI instead of UTF-8?
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You don't need to verify spelling in notepad,use subtitle edit to verify spelling errors,sounds like you are using the wrong subtitle after editing it and using an original one instead.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Budman1 View Post
    Have an example? Missing letters, wrong letter, and transposed letters can all be caused by different problems. Are you sure you are not saving from notepad in ANSI instead of UTF-8?
    The typical issue is College appears as CoIIege, tell appears as teII, etc.

I've used SE plenty of times and the corrections always stuck. I will try ANSI vs UTF - not sure which one you are advising to use.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    .........sounds like you are using the wrong subtitle after editing it and using an original one instead.
    You are 100% wrong. I correct the SRT in SE and "save as"..........I then look at it in Notepad which verifies the spelling is correct........then when using that file in FF, the words are spelled wrong again. There is no backup SRT with the words spelled wrong.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search PM
    Try using "save" not "save as"
    Save as creates a new file
    Save overwrites the file
    johns0 might be right
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Could it perhaps be that you are caught in the Default Notepad bug? If you use a font like Arial, the letters II and ll will look the same but are not. Changing the font to Lucida Console (and others) will allow correct display. If you have the wrong font in notepad it will 'LOOK' correct but isn't.

The following are cut and paste messages from your answer. BTW.. my email reader showed both words in your answer as the same because its font is different than my Notepad.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenHunter_182 Dec. 28 08.48.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	35000
    Quote Quote