VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Is it analog or digital? My TV has one and it says 'R, G, B' above it
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    very much analog...Red Green Blue...your primary colours, the rest are for sync purposes
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by levick View Post
    very much analog...Red Green Blue...your primary colours, the rest are for sync purposes
    If I were to conect my pc to my telly using that cable, what channel(s) would it display on? My TV has 'TV', 'AVI 1/2', 'RGB', 'DVI'

What I mean is, will I be able to tune my pc display to a normal tv channel instead of RGB or whatever?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Connecting a PC to a tv in this manner simply means that you will see what your PC would normally display. You do not see ANY channels on the tv.

Neither can you see on a PC monitor what you would normally see on your tv. The PC monitor would not show any channels.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by xtube View Post
    Originally Posted by levick View Post
    If I were to conect my pc to my telly using that cable, what channel(s) would it display on? My TV has 'TV', 'AVI 1/2', 'RGB', 'DVI'

What I mean is, will I be able to tune my pc display to a normal tv channel instead of RGB or whatever?
    A PC to VGA connection to your TV is just an additional input to the TV.

What connector are you using on the TV? Is there a VGA connector or are you going into "DVI" with an adapter? The latter probably won't work. If you go into a VGA 15 pin DIN like this, you will find the input on the RGB selection.

This connection is feeding a signal from the PC to the TV not the other way around. You won't see anything different on the PC.

When you set the VGA output you have a choice of sending a clone of the PC monitor picture or set as a second monitor output. In the latter case, your TV can show a different picture. You should set the resolution to match your TV's "native display resolution". This will be shown on the TV spec sheet.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  6. Yes my TV has the VGA pins at the back and that's what I'm using. Is vga supposed to better than DVI? VGA lets me choose higher res without putting big black borders round the screen.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by xtube View Post
    Yes my TV has the VGA pins at the back and that's what I'm using. Is vga supposed to better than DVI? VGA lets me choose higher res without putting big black borders round the screen.
    VGA allows you to set output resolution exactly to your TV resolution (uusally 1366x768 or 1920x1080) with no overscan. DVI/HDMI usually overscans.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I need to hook my pc to a DVD recorder but I don't see how that would work using only 1 VGA cable. How do I record what's on RGB channel?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Depends which kinds of inputs on the DVD recorder. If SCART with RGB in, see this.
    http://www.idiots.org.uk/vga_rgb_scart/
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Your dvd recorder has several video settings - composite, RGB etc

These are OUTPUT settings. They do not influence the signal that is being fed INTO the recorder. The signal that you record.

So your VGA cable has NO impact on how you record on your dvd recorder. It will NOT accept a VGA INPUT signal.

Typically, a dvd recorder either takes a coax cable - direct input from a source feed such as your television provider or RCA, scart (for europe) connected to an intermediate source such as a cable/satellite box.

If your tv has a video out you could, theoretically, connect that OUTPUT to your dvd recorder with appropiate cables (RCA) and record what is being displayed on your tv via the VGA input from your PC. Whether it will actually work I do not have the slightest idea.
    Quote Quote  
  11. You need a VGA to video scan converter. Like this:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-com-High-Resolution-Converter-Remote-Control/dp/B0006GR5QK/

Keep in mind that what you will get on the DVD recorder is standard definition video. Desktop text will be barely readable.
    Quote Quote