VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    A simple way for Mac users to convert MKV files to any other Quicktime-supported format.

This guide is so simple that it doesn't even require any screenshots, just a passing knowledge of Quicktime for Mac OSX.

Required Software:
    1) Quicktime Player - included with every Mac system (I use QT Pro, but maybe the standard free version will work... can someone confirm?)

2) Perian Beta 1.0 - http://perian.org/beta.html - the new beta adds Quicktime support of Matroska MKV files.

3) Flip4Mac Studio Pro HD (optional, needed for conversions to WMV)

What To Do:

1) Install Perian Beta 1.0 if you haven't already.
    2) Open your MKV file in Quicktime
    3) In Quicktime, choose "File" -> "Export"
    4) Adjust Quicktime's export settings as desired. I have been converting 720p MKVs for viewing on my Xbox360 and have had success with creating H.264 MP4 files with a bitrate of 8000kbps, and AAC-LC 2-channel audio.
    5) Export and enjoy!

NB: If QT complains that your source's audio contains different bitrate samples, do this:

1) Open the MKV in Quicktime.
    2) Choose "Window" -> "Show Movie Properties"
    3) Highlight the audio track, and select "Extract". The extracted audio track will open in a new QT window.
    4) In the new QT window (which shows your extracted audio from step 3), choose "File" -> "Export" and select "Sound to AIFF". Press "Options" and be sure that "Linear PCM" and "Stereo L R" are selected.
    5) Export your audio track, which creates a new AIFF file.
    6) Open your AIFF file, then choose "Edit" -> "Select All" -> "Copy"
    7) Focus on the QT window which houses your MKV file.
    8) Make sure that the playback head is at the beginning of the MKV file, then choose "Edit" -> "Add To Movie"
    9) Again, choose "Window" -> "Show Movie Properties"
    10) Highlight the ORIGINAL audio track (NOT your newly inserted AIFF), and hit "Delete". This leaves you with the original video, and an AIFF audio track.
    11) Your audio should now be suitable for exporting by QT, as detailed in the first part of this guide.

All in all, this is an easy, one-app way of converting MKV files. Have fun!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey Im having some trouble getting this to work, Im using QT Pro and an .mkv file and the export button is not clickable? Any idea what the problem could be? I can play .mkv files so I have perian installed correctly.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    gotta wait for the whole thing to load in quicktime, you'll see a progress bar fill up over time
    Quote Quote