VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Greetings,

I am on vacation and received an alert that motion was detected in my driveway. The video shows a rather large flatbed wrecker back into my driveway. From the video I can see the driver eyeball an old Chevy truck I have in the parking area which is off camera. Nothing was disturbed but I would like to have the plate number for future reference. I was wondering if anyone could help me enhance the image to get the license plate. I will try and post the entire video, but this still seems to be the best image. Thanks in advance.

Click image for larger version

Name:	towtruck-1.jpg
Views:	566
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	26705
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Your image is a lossy- compressed JPG full of smears, fuzz, and compression artifacts. I'd suggest that you make a new one and save as PNG, not compressed JPG.

Even at that, I'm sure someone here will give it a try. But remember that those blown-up video "enhancements" you see on TV happen only in movies written by space cadets who have no idea what they're talking about. But folks can always try, I guess.
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
  3. Post the video.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Unless you have a better picture to upload as suggested there's no way that you can get the numbers since the detail isn't there,as i said to other posters with the same exact question is on the movie 'No Way Out' that photo digitizing from a smeared to clear picture sure made people believe it could be done.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  5. You tube poorly reencodes everything ruining any chance you have of reading the plate. Upload the original video. This site accepts up to 500 MB files. If you need to trim it down to a smaller size use an editor that doesn't reencode. Every time you recompress a video the quality gets worse.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Original Video
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  7. Can one of the admins help me out here. I am not sure what I posted. The video links to my folder when I click it.

Edit: It seems to work now. Admins disregard.
    Last edited by Scarmblerguy; 2nd Aug 2014 at 00:07.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Scarmblerguy View Post
    Can one of the admins help me out here. I am not sure what I posted. The video links to my folder when I click it.

Edit: It seems to work now. Admins disregard.
    looks like - FEN-7265 or PDN -7265 or PEM-7265
    Last edited by october262; 2nd Aug 2014 at 02:04.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Yeah, P or F, then E?, then M or N or H, then 7625.

That ought to be good enough to show the cops, though.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  10. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Why even worry about someone using your driveway to backup and looking at your car?Just forget about,if i worried about people using my driveway to backup and turn around i would get no sleep.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    @johns0, I'm pretty sure the OP was worried that somebody would come along and tow away his parked truck while he was not at home. Like this dude was "casing his property".

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  12. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The op should get a better camera with at least 1280x720 resolution if he wanted to make sure of anyone coming on to his property to be identified,just too many posts of this same type with crappy camera resolution.
    Quote Quote  
  13. That truck looks pretty distinctive on is own. You may want to have a chat with your local police, express your concerns, and they may know exactly who it is already.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    @johns0, I'm pretty sure the OP was worried that somebody would come along and tow away his parked truck while he was not at home. Like this dude was "casing his property".

Scott

Scott, you hit the nail on the head.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by LMotlow View Post
    Your image is a lossy- compressed JPG full of smears, fuzz, and compression artifacts. I'd suggest that you make a new one and save as PNG, not compressed JPG.

Even at that, I'm sure someone here will give it a try. But remember that those blown-up video "enhancements" you see on TV happen only in movies written by space cadets who have no idea what they're talking about. But folks can always try, I guess.
    Wait, wait, wait, wait, wait! You're telling me everything I see in police procedurals on TV is all fiction?! My whole life has been a lie!
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!