VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. What's the best way to capture footage from a recording device with an HDMI output to a PC?

Answers in actually recognisable English are preferred, everything else I've read has thoroughly confused me.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Be prepared for a challenge! From what I have read in the multiple threads on hdmi capturing you need a raid harddrive storage system becuase it records uncompressed video.

You may want to consider capturing via COMPONENT outputs if your device has them. THe hauppauge hd pvr has component input jacks and can record 5.1 via fiber optic cables. I think it is hardware h264 capturing (it is an external box that connects via usb with component passthrough to the tv).

I don't have one but they are considered a good alternative to the intensive hdmi process (plus hdmi still deals with HDCP encryption issues so component may be your only alternative).

THere are numerous threads on the hauppauge hd pvr and the blackmagic intensity device on this forum. A thorough reading of these should help you decide what approach is best.

Please note I don't have either device. I am summarizing what I have read myself on this forum.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote